cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camcorder Optura 50

Jules
Contributor

I upload videos from cassettes to computer.  The colors do not appear as brilliant when I play on the computer or DVD compared to the camera LCD screen.  Is this a capture, computer or HDTV setting issue?  The quality is good, it's just that the camera screen colors appear to be very bright.  I either use a external drive (stick) or burn the video to a DVD.  The TV is a new 55 HDTV.  The computer is about 6 years old, but has a 17 inch monitor, which is very sharp.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hi Jules!

We're sorry to hear that you're not getting the desired color out of your Optura 50.  The main reason your images don't look super sharp or vivid is because you are watching home-recorded SD footage on a large 55 inch HD television.  The Optura 50 is not an HD camcorder; it only records SD, which is 640 x 480.  Ergo, the video is being stretched to fit on the screen.  Even your computer's monitor has a display resolution that is much higher than what the camcorder records.

There are settings you can try to adjust, like the white balance. Make sure that you have the correct white balance for the scene.  Additionally, you can also select an image effect in the Menu called Vivid. Finally, you may also want to kick up the brightness and contrast when you edit in post production; exporting video to a DVD without editing will yield results that can be dull by comparison.

We wish you the best of luck!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jules
Contributor

I usually use auto setting for most of my filming.  I also pan slowly in most cases, when filming scenery and/or events.  I notice often the picture tends to blurr instead of very sharp images when play back on the computer or HDTV.  Any recommendations to sharpen the pictures or eliminate the blurring would be appreciated.

Tim
Authority

Hi Jules!

We're sorry to hear that you're not getting the desired color out of your Optura 50.  The main reason your images don't look super sharp or vivid is because you are watching home-recorded SD footage on a large 55 inch HD television.  The Optura 50 is not an HD camcorder; it only records SD, which is 640 x 480.  Ergo, the video is being stretched to fit on the screen.  Even your computer's monitor has a display resolution that is much higher than what the camcorder records.

There are settings you can try to adjust, like the white balance. Make sure that you have the correct white balance for the scene.  Additionally, you can also select an image effect in the Menu called Vivid. Finally, you may also want to kick up the brightness and contrast when you edit in post production; exporting video to a DVD without editing will yield results that can be dull by comparison.

We wish you the best of luck!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tim, do you feel an upgrade to an HD camera would address and improve the video recording and playback quality?  Also wish to avoid blurring, which I get sometimes even when panning slowly.   Again, I prefer to have "true" color capture and sharp pictures whn playing on my computer or HD TV.  Thanks again.

Hi Jules,

We believe that an upgrade to one of our HD models would be a good move at this juncture.  The amount of quality, both in recording and playing back, will be quite substantial.  Our camera's ability to pan and capture astounding detail is well known throughout the videography world. 

Any of the VIXIA camcorders that are within your price range would capture very true color and tack sharp videos.  Playback on either a computer or through an HD TV would yield very high quality results.

Announcements