cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVCHD Format Question on Vixia HF R700

lloydalan
Apprentice

I have a question about the AVCHD format mode on my Vixia HF R700.  I normally use the MP4 mode set to the 35Mbps setting.

My question is about the difference between the two formats.

I took a short video using both formats.  When I checked the Properties I found that both of them came up with 1920X1080.

Is there still a benefit of using one format over the other?

I also have a question about the two formats.  I can not see the AVCHD file in Windows 7 Explorer.  I can only see it when I open it up in Windows Photo Gallery.

I also have a quesition on transferring videos.  I have never been able to transfer from the camera to any of my computers.

When I attach the USB cable the computers, they do not recognize the camera. The only way I can transfer the videos is to use an external card reader.

Thanks,  Lloyd 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

I, too have the choice between formats. With the higher bitrate I get better resolution with MP4 35Mbps so never use AVCHD. Both use the h264 codec, it's just being put into different types of container. The AVCHD spec only allows bitrates up to 28Mbps.

I always use a separate card reader to transfer files, which in my case is built in to my computer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

I, too have the choice between formats. With the higher bitrate I get better resolution with MP4 35Mbps so never use AVCHD. Both use the h264 codec, it's just being put into different types of container. The AVCHD spec only allows bitrates up to 28Mbps.

I always use a separate card reader to transfer files, which in my case is built in to my computer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

Thanks for your reply.  I'll just stick with MP4. It sure is a lot easier to work with! 

Best regards,

Lloyd

There seems to be a few small differences in what settings you can or can't make between AVCHD and MP4. But the only major differences I've found is that AVCHD files can be easily copied to Blue-Ray Discs. And MP4 files are much easier to open in most video players and more readily edited with most software.

Thanks for your reply.  Since most of my work is burning to DVD's I'll just stick with MP4.

Best regards,

Lloyd

Announcements