Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

New PowerShot SX280 HS Firmware available

New PowerShot SX280 HS Firmware offers movie shooting performance enhancements as well as the fix for the premature display of the low battery level when shooting in movie mode. To learn more and download the update, click here.

Gus
New Contributor

Re: New PowerShot SX280 HS Firmware available

Installed the new firmware...  fully charged battery and I get 3 minutes of video before the camera shuts off.    Turn to any camera mode and a full battery is shown on the level indicator.   Turn back to video mode and the battery indicator says full.  Start to shoot video and light flashes and camera shuts down in 30 seconds.  

Firmware update does not seem to be working.

Occasional Contributor

Hi, just curious, does your camera indicate the updated FW status?  Does any editing software also indicate the FW version? 

Mike Goodwin 7D/400D/ Manfrotto 3228W Giotto MH3300/ 400mmL/ 50mm F1.4/28mm F2.8/28x135 & Tamron 18x270
New Contributor

Unfortunately, this update did not resolve the flashing low battery icon for me. Regardless of the mode of video, it will begin to flash. The mode just lengthens or hastens the time it takes to begin (from immediately in full hd to about 26 seconds in standard shooting). I don't understand how this can be advertised as a fix for the problem - it obviously is not.
New Contributor

I have the same problem: As soon as I switch to Video mode and operate zoom. The battery icon "Instantly" goes from full bars to flashing red low battery warning. What follows, very quickly, is a complete camera shutoff.  I experiene this using any one of the 3 fully charged Canon batteries I own. (2 are brand new!)  I have updated the firmware to v 1.0.2.0 but my camera still has the problem.

If, using the same battery, I switch to Picture mode and power the camera off & on, I can use it and the zoom without ANY problems. The battery meter will now show the same battery as fully charged.

This is the email Canon sent to me when I asked about this problem:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  I am sorry that your PowerShot SX280 HS camera displays a low battery message when shooting video.

Because a greater amount of power is consumed by recording movies than for shooting stills, the battery warning is designed to appear early in order to safeguard your recordings.  This is more likely to occur if the zoom is used frequently during movie recording and when the video quality is set to Full HD Mode.  However, movie recording can still be carried out for the officially stated length of time (25 minutes on a full charge).

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PowerShot SX280 HS camera. Thank you for choosing Canon.

I'm going to call Canon on this.  If that doesn't work, I'm going ship back to Canon for repair.

Anyone have anything else regarding this issue with the SX280 HS?   Please HELP!!

CSM

New Contributor

I dont mind that the battery meter erroneously reports a weak battery when video is used. What I do mind is that, when recording video, the camera shuts down.

--1. When recording over 5-10 minutes, the meter will begin flashing.  (That is fine)

--2. When the flashing begins, you can continue recording. (That is fine)

--3. But, when it flashing and you use the zoom feature, it will shut down. (Unnacceptable)

--4. Powering down, factory restarts, and reinserting battery and card will not alleviate the problem. (unacceptable) had the camera but returned it and bought the Sony DSC HX300. Great zoom but very bulky. I was ready to go back to the canon SX280 if the problem had been resolved. 

So sad that Canon is not fixing the firmware for an otherwise great camera.  Beautiful images: color and details. Sigh.

Another issue, the sound suppressor is not very well designed to allow users to switch between spoken, concert, etc. My android bionic is excellent for recording live music. 

New Contributor

I have a SN 6420500xxx and it won't even show me the firmware version under the playback feature.  It is embarassing, honestly.  I work for an industrial camera manufacturer, if we sold Canon Engineers a camera that behaved like this they would really be hard on us.  I'll call first thing in the morning, but I'm sure this product will be back at Best Buy tomorrow afternoon.

New Contributor

Installed the new firmware and confirmed the installation. The problem persists (camera would shut off when using zoom in video mode).
Any updates on this problem / real fixes?
New Contributor

This has not fixed my battery life problem. My camera still shuts down after a short usage of video

New Contributor

Having contacted customer service again, they are suggesting the camera is in need of repair (a brand new camera).

Has anyone gone this route with any success?