Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: New PowerShot SX280 HS Firmware available

My SX280 does the same thing in video mode.  Battery life immediately goes to zero but 100% in camera mode.

New Contributor

I still find it amazing that Canon can produce and sell this POS SX280HS with a major problem, recognized
by everyone on this site, and then completely ignore the existence of the problem. As a long time Canon user who loved every Canon camera I ever had starting with an AE-1, I am shocked and embarrassed with Canon's lack of concern and customer service. The listed problem goes "Far" beyond a battery issue and is indicative of a callous Company that places profits far above customer service & satisfaction. I, for one, will never purchase a Canon product again!
New Contributor

Although I agree they should take these cameras off the market by recall and replace them, they did finally take mine back and replace it with a refurbished one. It seems to be working as it was designed, but I got a different color and it is refurbished as opposed to new. These aren't big deals for me, but nonetheless. They should be more concerned about their brand.

New Contributor

I joined this forum just to comment on my experience with the new firmware.  I just purchased a new SX280 this afternoon at Best Buy.  I brought it home and started using it.  I was aware of the battery/video mode problem.  I immediately had the problem with the battery indicator upon using video.  I checked the serial number to confirm it should have the new firmware.  Just for the heck of it, I downloaded the firmware update and attempted to install in on my camera.  It was smart enough to tell me I already had the new version.  The camera goes back to Best Buy for a refund.  I can't see going through the hassle of returning a camera to Canon to fix a problem that shouldn't exist.  I tried out a SX50 and thought it was great.  Just decided that I wanted something smaller and was willing to give up some zoom.  Will be looking at another brand in the 20X-30X arena.  May go back to SX50.  Won't let this sour me on all Canon products.......just this one.

New Contributor

I also wanted to chime in. I have the updated firmware, bought from BB  yesterday. I have 6 batteries:

2x Canon NB-6L

2x Vivitar VIV-CB-6LH 1700mah 6.3wH

1x Digipower BP-CN6L 750mah

1x Rayovac CAM10010 850mah 3Wh

ALL OF THEM result in red flashing low-battery indicator after a minute of video recording (1080p 60fps) when fully charged, and shortly thereafter, the camera shut down and told me to change the battery pack. I can't get more than 7 minutes of recording (no zooming whatsoever) before it turns itself off. Completely unacceptable in my opinion, and I will be returning this camera at my earliest convenience and letting BB deal with it. I'm not going through the hassle (and expense) of paying for shipping on such a horrible product.

I was so happy with my powershot sx230 HS, sx260 HS, and s95. I wanted a Canon product because I've had nothing but good experiences until now. This is the third sx280 HS I've tried. Three strikes, and I'm out. Just wanted to let you know I'll be abandoning any attempt at being a future canon owner, and will be pursuing my picture and video taking needs through a different manufacturer.

Regretfully,

Kevin.

New Contributor

I don't blame you for being frustrated, but I wanted to let you know that it didn't cost me anything more than a little time to mail the camera to Canon. They paid for shipping and the camera seems to be working fine. I agree we shouldn't have to go through this hassle, but they did take care of it after I did.

You have to contact them and they will give you a label and all so it doesn't cost you and money. They had me send battery and charger so they could check everything.

New Contributor

I have done installed 1.0.2.0 on my newly bought sx280hs, fully charged standard battery, test it on video recording at HD res only, and i got 18 minutes and 15 seconds, just 2 times zooming-in and out. The red battery starts blinking at minute 4th. Seem to me the 1.0.2.0 version brought significant effect on movie recording. (with 1.0.1.0 only 5 minutes long).

Highlighted
New Contributor

Having reached client benefit once more, they are recommending the camera need fix (a fresh out of the plastic new camera).

Has anybody run this course with any achievement