Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Mastering the Speedlite 600EX-RT with Syl Arena Tutorial Videos

Last spring, Canon revolutionized the world of small flash. The 600EX-RT Speedlite and ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter are the first flash system with two-way radio-capabilities built into the gear.

Syl Arena, author of Speedliter's Handbook and Lighting for Digital Photography, was the first photographer in the world to blog a hands-on video evaluation of the 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT. Over the past eight months he has continued to put the new gear to the test in a wide range of conditions. In this fast-paced presentation from December 19, 2012 at the Canon Hollywood Professional Technology and Support Center, Syl shares his insights and tips about how to push out the boundaries of flash photography with the new Canon Speedlite system.

Click here to view the eight videos on Mastering the Speedlite 600EX-RT with Syl Arena.

Super Contributor

Re: Mastering the Speedlite 600EX-RT with Syl Arena Tutorial Videos

Glad to see Syl finally on the official Canon site!
Frequent Contributor

I attended one of his "speedliter intensive" sessions recently and it was awesome. To me, he is the best Canon representative out there, as far as marketing to the semi-pro, serious amateur segment. He cheapos out when he can, but sees the value in quality equipment. He's a big fan of the 600EX-RT as well, and I'm sure that helps sell a ton of speedlites. ;-)
Frequent Contributor

I agree! I attended Syl's Speedliter's Intensive in November 2012 in Houston, Texas, and repeated in Austin, Texas in May 2013. Syl is a wonderful teacher, and I would like to attend one of his longer workshops in the future.

Syl's book on Speedliting pre-dates the 600EX-RT, but the principles of lighting remain the same, and his blog and on-line tutorials are an excellent way to stay up-to-date on the newest technology.