cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carepak exclusions concerning the term "business"

NBNB2
Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

I have purchased a Carepak for a mirrorless camera and was about to purchase for a mirrorless lens but the fact that the terms state business use is excluded concerns me as a photographer. The Canon chat person said she "believes" that just refers to bigger businesses. What is everyone's understanding of that? Have photographers had any problems when purchasing for business use?

From the contract:  "Products must be purchased from a Retailer, and be solely intended for personal use, and not intended for Commercial Use or for resale. Commercial Use is defined as any non-residential use; including rental, business, educational and institutional, but not including heavy industrial use. "

Thanks,

Wyn

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'll try and have a look at this for you later today.  

In the meantime, I would suggest reaching out to the CarePak team directly.

1-833-CAREPAK

Or 

carepakplus@cits.canon.com

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The plain reading is as you said, "Commercial Use" is pretty clear, that you can't make your living from it.

Just thought to add:

CPS is what is intended for the professional photographer.

Commercial follows along with the statement of copyright, first rights, etc.

I'll be glad when I start making a living from photography. I'm a non-profit...didn't intend it to be that way. j/k Hopefully, this summer will open up some opportunities.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

NBNB2
Apprentice

Ok thanks! I spoke to someone in sales on the chat and she didn't mention talking to the Carepak team. In fact I couldn't find a number for them anywhere on the website so thanks for providing that Shadowsports. When I called regular customer service after posting my question here in the community, he said he didn't know and never heard of anyone asking about that.  He put me on hold to find out but I had to hang up after 10 minutes. I just emailed the Carepak team so I can save their answer. I think maybe there are 2 types of Carepak: Carepak plus and Carepak Pro? I had to search a while to figure that out. But for the RF24 -70 f2.8L, it will only let me choose Carepak plus.

My understanding is that CPS doesn't give any benefit for dropping or some other accident to a lens whereas Carepak does. 

My update: I called the Carepak phone number. She said there is no way to tell us which products can be eligible for Carepak Pro...no list or $ amount etc which is frustrating. She told me photographers using a product for business are included with just Carepak plus. She said businesses getting coverage like for large printers etc are excluded. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

That is what they say, what really counts is what happens when you make a claim and they determine you were using it for "Commercial Use".

snwj
Contributor

lacking any firm definition from Canon then the common use for the terms would apply   ie: dictionary 

Stephen

My 2c, not an official stance, is to look at it like this (use your imagination):
Should the photo department of a news organization have the same benefits at the same price as a parent who takes photos at special events? 

The news organization has access to CPS benefits, but the parent typically won't. 

Announcements