cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R8 + RF-S 10-18 = Won't shoot

EAN777
Contributor

I connected the new RFS 10-18 to my R8 and did not use automatic crop. My R8 has firmware 1.2.0 installed. At the same time, shooting videos and photos is not possible. The display says "manual focus". When the shutter button is pressed, the MF label blinks.

Help me...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The F00 error indicates the lens and body are not communicating.  The fact that you got it connected once without the camera going into crop mode on its own is not correct (again, it signifies a communication failure).  FW 1.2.0 added support for the RF-S 10-18 and it should correctly detect and use crop mode if this lens is attached. 

I would remove the lens and reset the camera's settings to default both main and custom settings. Then retest.  If you continue to experience strange behavior when this lens is attached, I'd contact support.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I assume an RF lens works OK?

What do you mean by "did not use automatic crop"? You cannot get a full frame image from an RF-S camera, and I can easily imagine that it would freak out the focus around the area of the frame outside the 1.6X crop.

EAN777
Contributor

RF lens 15-30 mm works!

What do you mean by "did not use automatic crop"?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that using a RF-S lens on a full-frame camera, I would automatically crop image (1.6x). But this did not happen and the camera cannot record video or photos on the RF-S lens.

EAN777
Contributor

RF-S 10-18RF-S 10-18RF-S 10-18RF-S 10-18RF 15-30RF 15-30

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It does, and if it does not, there is something wrong with the camera or the lens. (look at the second bullet below.)

Does the EXIF data show the correct lens?

Untitled.jpg

EAN777
Contributor

EAN777
Contributor

Movie cropping - onMovie cropping - onF00? MF! No recF00? MF! No recFirmware detailFirmware detailFirmware on cameraFirmware on camera

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The F00 error indicates the lens and body are not communicating.  The fact that you got it connected once without the camera going into crop mode on its own is not correct (again, it signifies a communication failure).  FW 1.2.0 added support for the RF-S 10-18 and it should correctly detect and use crop mode if this lens is attached. 

I would remove the lens and reset the camera's settings to default both main and custom settings. Then retest.  If you continue to experience strange behavior when this lens is attached, I'd contact support.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

Thx
It worked

Announcements