cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to make a feature request for R5C firmware? (Request: Smaller 8K file size like Sony & Fuji)

MrR5C
Contributor

I can't find anywhere to make a feature request that would actually be seen by Canon and not just generic customer support, but I've heard about people making feature requests before, so where is the best place to do that?

The one feature lacking that's really bothering me not to have in the R5C and a feature I've been hoping for in firmware since launch is a feature Sony 8K cameras have and I'm pretty sure Fuji as well...and that's the ability to shoot 8K in a smaller file size than the current 400 Mbps minimum on the R5C (the Sony A1 can do 200 Mbps in 8K30fps 10 bit, which is half the size and is a big deal since that saves a ton of money on storage over the years). One of the major reasons I wasn't going to get the R5C at first was because of the minimum 8K file sizes being double the size compared to Sony but I went with it anyway hoping maybe in a future firmware they'd release an updated file size option for 8K that's smaller since that doesn't seem unrealistic and is pretty doable since their competitors are already doing it. I feel like this is a reasonable request I just don't know where I'm supposed to make the request. 

Edit: I should also mention on the Sony A1 there isn't a noticeable difference in the quality between 200mbps and 400mpbs 8k as you can see in this video which is also why it would be very useful to have a lower sized 8k: https://youtu.be/eO1B9p_p7cE?t=402

12 REPLIES 12

rs-eos
Elite

To provide feedback to Canon, go to usa.canon.com, scroll down to the bottom and next to the copyright notice, click on "[+] Feedback".

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Also, I hope you realize that with compression that high, you'll end up losing quite a bit of quality.   Why not just capture in 4K if you need to work with smaller bit rates?

--
Ricky

That's not true, YouTuber Gerald Undone did a comparison between the 200mbps and 400mpbs 8k on the Sony A1 and said he couldn't tell a difference (Here's a link to that comparison: https://youtu.be/eO1B9p_p7cE?t=402)

Also 8K is necessary because I do a lot of cropping and zooming with the footage, which is the entire reason I bought an 8K camera to begin with.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A fellow user names @AtticusLake did an excellent video that includes Codec and Bitrates.  It starts at 13:48 and 19:00 minutes, but the entire video is well done.  I think Ian shot this on FW version 1.0.3.1.  

Have you tried shooting in Cinema RAW LT?  If you would like to discuss more, please share the recording modes you are selecting.

These start on page 61 of the user guide.

eosr5c-aug5-video-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@MrR5C,

Have you considered shooting in 4K and using the teleconverter option introduced in v1.0.4.1 and now ultimately in 1.0.5.1?  This might give you the 8K oversampling you are looking for with the crop or zoom.  Another option might be 6K in super35 mode.  Just throwing some additional options out there for you.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I appreciate your help but I chose the R5C so I can shoot specifically in 8K because I do a lot of cropping in on shots and significant zooming animations in editing. Shooting in 4K limits the amount I can zoom in while retaining full quality and if I start zoomed in while shooting then I don't have the main wide shot I use. Same applies to 6K, plus the 6K super35 file sizes are significantly larger than the smallest 8K MP4 file so that makes the issue worse. Either way I bought this camera to shoot 8K, but my concern is just it would save a ton of money on storage having an 8K file size that's smaller like Sony and Fuji that is half the size at 200mbps while still being 10 bit and not losing noticeable quality compared to 400mbps. 

It's all a tradeoff.  There won't be some magic algorithm that would give you high quality at such low bitrates.

The EOS C70 can go up to around 440 Mbps and that's for 10-bit 4:2:2 DCI-4K.  Assuming things are linear, that would be around 1.8 Gbps for 8K.   Other cinema cameras bitrates are much higher (e.g. EOS C200 RAW is 2 Gbps for 4K, or if it could do 8K, then around 8 Gbps).

At 200 Mbps and 10 bit, that's like having around 16 Mbps for an HD frame.  True, there are better codecs out there with lower bit rates than say H.264.   But at such a low bitrate, you're going to be giving up quality.

When moving to 4K, it was very costly.  Additional storage, V90 SD cards, more computer drive space, more backup drive space, etc.   Working with 8K is insanely demanding of storage resources.

--
Ricky

You must work for Canon or something because I don't know why I have to keep repeating myself. For the third time Sony and Fuji both offer 8K in a 10 bit 200mbps bitrate and as shown here in this video by YouTuber Gerald Undone who knows what's he's talking about, there's no noticeable difference between 8K 10 bit in 200mpbs vs 400mpbs on Sony: https://youtu.be/eO1B9p_p7cE?t=402

I have offered proof this is not some "magic" I'm asking for. Almost every other 8K camera in this price range or lower except Nikon offers a smaller 8K file size. I'm simply suggesting Canon offer the bare minimum that their competitors are offering and that should be very doable and reasonable for a firmware update. It's ridiculous that you're acting like this is "magic" or something far fetched when it's already being done on a few cameras. 

"I'm simply suggesting Canon offer the bare minimum that their competitors are offering and that should be very doable and reasonable for a firmware update. It's ridiculous that you're acting like this is "magic" or something far fetched when it's already being done on a few cameras."

This is a user-to-user forum and Ricky has already told you how to make a feature request. It isn't that difficult. 

Announcements