cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon A-1 Auto Winder not working

Kyle7
Apprentice

Yes, this is an old camera. Either way, I have an A2 power winder (which I know is working), and it will not wind on my A-1. I am not opposed to taking it apart to find the problem, I just have no idea where to start. The camera works and has charge, it’s just that the winder is not getting the signal when the shutter is pressed. Some help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, solved it. Inside the camera, there are pins above the winder that have contact with gold plates. One was bent, not allowing current to flow when the shutter is fired. Pics are attached. If anyone has any power issues with on and off, power winder or timer issues, this area is the place to check. 

FC350BFF-01B7-43C2-91AF-C100EEF31C10.jpeg

92FA05EE-86ED-4148-BB8D-9C1C3CD5BB63.jpeg

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are the contacts, that mate with the winder, clean on the camera?

That is what I went to after changing the batteries, still doesn’t work. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Finding old winders that are fully functional can be difficult. You very possibly just have a dead one. How do you know it is working? Can you try it on another Canon A-series body? Does your A-1 wind properly by hand, reliably?

I have had bad winders break cameras and vice versa. I'm lucky in having three good Winder A2s on my A-1, and AE-1 Programs. I keep my fingers crossed.

You can find the Winder A2 usually at <UsedPhotoPro.com>. They'd come with a warranty. EBay is another source, as long as you read the listing carefully and it is returnable. 

amfoto1
Authority

I don't know if it makes any difference, but exactly what type of batteries are you using in the A2 Winder?

You mention you "charged batteries"... I assume those were for the winder, since as far as I know there are no rechargeable batteries for the camera itself (it uses a single 6V Silver Oxide or Alkaline in that little compartment on the front). On the other hand, the Winder uses AA-size batteries.

According to the manual, the Winder batteries should be standard AA (carbon-zinc, won't last very long) or Alkaline or NiCads. If what you are using is something else, that might be a problem. I really don't know... just guessing here! 😁

My A-1 is paired up with the Motor Drive MA. The main reason I use it instead of the Winder is for the vertical controls the Motor Drive provides. The faster frame rate is okay... but burns through a roll of film VERY fast! (Thank heaven for digital!)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can use any type battery in the winder. The manual was written in the "old days" before NiMH rechargeables replaced NiCads. Carbon zincs are a relic also. Alkalines leak. I use NiMH or Lithiums. These two do not lose charge continuously in use, which makes winding slower and slower. 

Kyle7
Apprentice

So just to clear some stuff up, my friend has an a1. She has a different auto winder, and it works on hers. My winder works on her camera as well. Neither work on my a1. Must be an electrical issue inside the camera somewhere, and I’m sure it probably isn’t an easy fix. I swapped camera batteries, changes nothing. Very interesting issue. There isn’t any corrosion visible when I take off the bottom plate. If anyone knows anything, lmk. Not the end of the world since the camera is fully operational otherwise, I just want to use the winder.

Ok, solved it. Inside the camera, there are pins above the winder that have contact with gold plates. One was bent, not allowing current to flow when the shutter is fired. Pics are attached. If anyone has any power issues with on and off, power winder or timer issues, this area is the place to check. 

FC350BFF-01B7-43C2-91AF-C100EEF31C10.jpeg

92FA05EE-86ED-4148-BB8D-9C1C3CD5BB63.jpeg

MichaE
Contributor

Hi. New here. Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

I recently bought another A-1 after foolishly selling another I had for years. I purchased the MA motor drive for it from a seller on eBay who claimed it worked fine. It didn't.

The two shutter buttons would fire the shutter, but the motor would not advance film, and the speed button on the bottom didn't work at all. He accepted the return, and I have a second purchase on the way from another seller who also claims it works 100%. We'll see when it arrives.

My question is, would this unit still fire the shutter but have a bad motor? It made no noise at all except when I manually advanced the film, but it wasn't trying to turn at all and there was no sound from the motor. I can see that the speed button would be useless also if the motor was bad.

Is it common for these motors to fail, even considering their age?

Yes, it is not unusual for the winders and motor drives to fail. Age and amount of use are why.  I have had a number of them pass through my hands that have died. I just hope that my A2 winders don't fail and take the camera with them.

Announcements