cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery dies as soon as we put it in the EOS R7

danny24088
Apprentice

We got a Rebel EOS 7 last Chistmas 2022. It worked fine f or a while, but now, we can charge it, but as soon as we put it in the camera, it flashes and dies. Is it most likely the charger or the battery?

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Sympathies on your issue, let's see what we can do.  First I need to know exactly what specific model are you using - there is the EOS 7D, EOS 77d, 700D, and in the mirrorless line the M7 and EOS R7. 
When you got the camera, was it new or second-hand?
Also, precisely how are you charging the battery please?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Sounds like they have the EOS Rebel T7.  If that's the case, it should have come with battery charger LC-E10 or LC-E10E and battery pack LP-E10.

It would be helpful to know where the camera was purchased from.  Sometimes, when not purchased from authorized Canon resellers, parts and accessories can be swapped out for inferior/counterfeit versions.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The best thing to do would be to buy a replacement battery.  Charge it fully and retest.  This should tell you if the problem is the battery, charger or the camera. Its never bad to have one or more spare batteries.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

twillrichardson
Apprentice

I suddenly have the same issue with one of the batteries with my R7, purchased late 2023.  I bought a spare Canon battery at the time as the camera, and both were purchased from B&H so should be the real deal.  Anyhow, the battery will build up to a full charge on the charger, but then it's just lifeless once I put it into my camera.  Charger seems to be working fine too, so ... just a malfunctioning battery all of the sudden??  There was some corrosion on the contacts, but I've cleaned all of that off thoroughly.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you are seeing any corrosion, it sounds like you might be storing the body with the battery installed.  This is not a good idea. 

The battery that had the corrosion.  If you can see any signs that it has leaked, or is bulging in any way, do not put it back in the camera. 

If both batteries fail to power the camera, I'd look at the charger next..  If thats bad, replace it.  The last item is the camera.  If stored with the battery, it might have been damaged.  No amount of cleaning will fix this.

Options:

Check the batteries after charging with an OHMs meter

Visit a camera store and test the camera with a known good battery.  (Replace battery or charger)

If its the camera, you'll need to open a support case with Canon for inspection and repair.

MyCanon

Let us know how it works out.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

If "store it" you mean go a week or two without taking a photo, yes, sometimes that happens, but in this case I think it may have fallen victim to the rapid pressure changes of air travel, as it died the day after a long flight.  Camera works fine, other battery works fine, both chargers work fine.  This battery appears to look fine (not misshapen, no more corrosion, no leaking), but I guess I should probably toss it?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for clarifying.  Yes.  Not worth risking the camera.  It might have warranty, you can contact Canon and see.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick!

Announcements