cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM won't AF on EOS 600D

canon-user1212
Apprentice

Hello!

I'm currently learning photography on my own. Today, I visited a store to purchase a Canon 24mm 2.8 STM lens for my Canon 600D camera. When I connected it to my camera, opened LiveView mode and pressed the shutter button halfway, it failed to focus. I tried reconnecting the lens, pressing the button again, and switching between AF and MF modes on the lens, but nothing seemed to work. Could someone advise me on what might be the issue? Perhaps I made a mistake in connecting or setting up the lens, or there could be an issue with the lens itself? With my original kit lens, focusing in LiveView works when I press the shutter halfway, but it didn’t happen with this new lens.

Thanks a lot for any tips!

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Return it to the store where you bought it at the earliest opportunity.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I didnt buy it

@canon-user1212 wrote:

I didnt buy it

I suppose that is good thing.  It sounds like damaged goods.  Return it, anyway.  Stop trying to use it before it damages your camera.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like a bad lens. If it was a store demonstrator, it might have been abused. ESD maybe?

Hello! Yes, it was from a showcase, the last item on the store. Im sorry, what is ESD?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"Electro Static Discharge." Can be caused by handling, especially if there is carpet involved.

Though Canons must be pretty well protected, I have never heard of it being an issue before.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Return it to the store where you bought it at the earliest opportunity."

This is only part of the solution. Return it and have them try it on one of their cameras.

ESD, "Electro Static Discharge" is so unlikely to not be a concern at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Return it to the store where you bought it at the earliest opportunity."

This is only part of the solution. Return it and have them try it on one of their cameras.

ESD, "Electro Static Discharge" is so unlikely to not be a concern at all.

What would testing it on other cameras prove?  His own camera could have already been damaged.  Stop using it.  Return it.  Get rid of it.  Never go back to that store again.

Announcements