cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is the WPS button?

dmlarsen
Apprentice

Just got a Canon PIXMA MX432 and trying to set up.  It asks for me to push the WPS button, but can't find?  Hep?

134 REPLIES 134

Did that.  The computer asked for a pin number.   Where is that?

Hmmm ...   was it the computer or the printer that asked for the pin number?   Should be the printer asking for a pass code or a password.   When someone visits your home, and they ask for your wireless password, this is the same password you tell them.  The printer will use the same wireless password.

Did you successfully get the printer all setup and connected to the router thru the menu screen on the printer?  

Then download the drivers for your model of printer and install?

Then you should be able to add the printer to your computer and print a test page.

I don't have a WPS button and the CD doesn't work in my MAC either- What should I do - I can't set up my printer?

@Michael wrote:

Hello dmlarsen.

The WPS button is not on the printer.  This button would be located on your router itself.

If your router does not have a clearly marked 'WPS' button, please use the CD with your computer to perform the standard wireless installation.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Have just spent an hour trying to set up my new MG6660 numerous times, getting stuck on "hold down the WPS button" part which I took to be the blue light on the printer. So I have been repeatedly holding down this light till the **bleep** thing timed out and I started all over again.

After some googling I got to the Canon Community site, where I found the WPS button is supposed to be on my router. My router does not have a WPS button. Apparently if your router does have one, you have to hold this down while you perform operations on the printer. As my router is distant from my printer and PC, and I don't have six foot long arms, I can see this will be rather difficult. Anyway, my router does not have a WPS button, so I'm still stuck.

I have had Canon printers for 15 years, and have always found them reliable and easy to use. In fact, i have been recommending Canon to other people. No more.

I am going to read all the messages on the Canon Community once again and try to figger this out. If I can't, I'm going to dump the printer and buy one of a different brand.

One with proper instructions.

VERY DISAPPOINTED, CANON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When its asking for "Press and Hold the WPS Button", press the button STOP (There is red color upside down triangle inside the circle symbol). Now you will see the "STANDARD SETUP, WPS and OTHER SETUP. Here you can press STANDARD SETUP. Now it will show you your wifi network name. Select your wifi network name and the select the Password. If you press OK button after showing the grids, it will show you alpha numerical key pad. you can type your wifi password, it will set all automatically and your printer will be ready for print. 

Thanks Ruxcad. I have managed to set the printer up via the USB, and will stick with that for now.

It amazes me that Canon customers have to go through these shennigans to compensate for poor instructions by Canon in the first place. I see that customers have been having this sort of problem with Canon printers since at least 2012, and that Canon still has done nothing about the poor instructions as each new model comes out.

Sure doesn's make me inclined to recommend Canon in future.

@ruxcad wrote:

When its asking for "Press and Hold the WPS Button", press the button STOP (There is red color upside down triangle inside the circle symbol). Now you will see the "STANDARD SETUP, WPS and OTHER SETUP. Here you can press STANDARD SETUP. Now it will show you your wifi network name. Select your wifi network name and the select the Password. If you press OK button after showing the grids, it will show you alpha numerical key pad. you can type your wifi password, it will set all automatically and your printer will be ready for print. 

Yes you are right. Still CANON not doing anything about this setup issue. Did you try my method what I posted here? It will work.  

Thanks again ruxcad. I just want a break from that bleep printer for a while, and will go on using a USB lead instead of wireless till I can face it again, fully calm with a cup of coffee on hand.

Just bought a Canon Maxify MB5310.  My router does not have a WPS "button" to push.  Please advise.

My router does not have WPS button.  I have used the CD provided with my new MG4520 printer and it is operating fine when hard-wired but I want to use it in wi-fi mode.  The wi-fi button on the printer is illuminated and I have tried sending something to print, without success.  Please tell me what I need to do to overcome this problem, which is vershadowing my pruchase of thi Canon product.

Announcements