cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is the WPS button?

dmlarsen
Apprentice

Just got a Canon PIXMA MX432 and trying to set up.  It asks for me to push the WPS button, but can't find?  Hep?

134 REPLIES 134

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh.......Is anyone reading my post...!! The install CD does not give me any option other than to use the WPS button....or install it via the traditional "wire" method...I DO NOT HAVE A WPS button....!!!They keep telling me to go back to the install CD and use the aternate install method....The only alternate install method I can find is by useing the USB cable..!!

Here is what I did.  Took me over an hour to figure this out, I got stuck looking for that WPS button also. Many new laptops do not have a CD drive to make them thinner and lighter and cheaper,  my new Macbook pro does not have a CD so I downloaded the driver from www.canon.com.  You don't need the CD and you don't need the WPS button if you do the following:

On your computer do this.

go to www.canon.com | click Support | click the region of the world you live in, if you are in the USA click here http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support  | on this page you will see a small search bar with a magnefying glass next to it. type the name and model of your printer into the search bar near the top of the web page. I typed in "pixma" for a list of all the pixma's | click search button | you will see a list of printers, find your printer | under the printer listing on this web page - click driver & software |  It will probably autodetect your operating system, if not select your OS | click the driver you want and download and install the driver.   You have to have a driver on each computer for the printer to work.

Now go to your Canon printer and do the following. Some printers might be a little different, but they all should have the capability to connect manually to the wireless router, if they are a wireless printer.

1) On the front of the printer, press the home button, or whatever button takes you to the Wireless setup button | Press the wireless setup button on the printer (on mine it was the lower left button under the consol screen on the mg5420 pixma printer).  The wireless setup button has the typical icon for wireless, curved lines in the shape of a piece of pie.  Looks like a radar gun from a cartoon.

2) Printer will say searching

3) wait 10 seconds

4) press the STOP button on the printer.    <-- this is the important part on my printer there was a STOP button.  You have to press the STOP button to get to the advanced menu.

5) you will see an advanced button.  Select advanced and press the OK button.

6) it will now find your wireless routers name and probably will find all your neighbors wireless routers too.  If it doesn't show up in the list, then power cycle your wireless router off wait 3 seconds and power it on, then start from step 1 again.

7) select your wireless router name ( also called the SSID) and press OK button on printer.

😎 It will ask you to select the security used on this wireless router.  If you don't know just start trying them till you get one that works.  Ours was WPA2 personal (AES). Press OK after selecting the security type.

9) when you select the correct security it will ask you to enter the password on the next screen. enter the password you normally use to connect to your wireless router.
10) Press OK, when done and follow the prompts to get out.

11) your printer is now connected to the wireless router (with no wire)

I did the above from memory, so might be just a bit off

Back on the computer:

1) If you haven't already, go to www.canon.com and download the correct drivers for your pixma printer and your OS and install.  (See above)

2) Print a test page.

3) If it prints | do a happy dance | if not try again, you maybe missed something | if you spend over an hour then something else is wrong, maybe the wireless router needs to be factory reset but don't do that unless you know how to setup the wireless router.

I think Canon was trying to make life simple with the WPS button, not realizing that some routers to not have one.

Great for a 5420 but the MG 3222 doesnt hae the amenedies...my stop button looks just like the set up button you describe..

there is no screen on my printer and no advanced button...so thanks but will not work with this machine..Ratts...

You should be paid by Canon for saving their skin....I would have returned the printer were it not for you. Thank you. Seriously, thank you.

Hi w0350,

So we can provide you with instruction for installing your printer wirelessly using the standard installation, please reply with what operating system is on your computer, as well as what model printer you have.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

hope you read further to discover hitting "stop" button will bring you up another alternative as many of us finally discovered who are also without a WPS button

I GAVE UP....

....Worked days to set up the wireless connection on my new MG3222. Never got it to work correctly... I FINALLY got past the WPS button issue, and got it work wirelessly.  BUT, it did not work correctly.  Talked to a tech and he told me the code indicated my ink cartridges were probably bad...the brand new ones.....In a fevered state,  I replugged in the USB cable and wolla, the ink cartridge issue was no longer showing up..The tech was baffeled..

So, I have resigned myself to use the machine without the hastle of useing it WIFI...it works just fine with the USB cable.. I probably spent 12 to 14 hours all told, trying to get this NEW printer to work as promised....wasted time...

I have to agree, Canon REALLY needs to rewrite the instructions on how to set these printers up WIFI...It does not seem like anyone has the mysterious WPS button on their router...maybe this was somehting that the early routers had..I don't know...

Thats it...I'm done..

Used to work for a company that had no QA, we joked that the customers were the QA department. That company wound up laying off 50% of their employees and another 25% of them quit, that company barely managed to hang on.

Then I worked for a company that had a good QA department and QA was part of the document specifications and product design process. The QA was valued and had teeth too, the product could not be released until QA was done, including QA on documentation. That company is still going strong.

Obviously, times have changed .....

When you buy something now days, you are pretty much expected to figure it out on your own...owners manuals are non existant, except on line, which I find about 50% usefull and 50% a pain in the .......... On line "help" is usually, not always, folks in some foreign country, doing their best, trying to ek out a living.........

If it doesn't work right, you simply take it back..customer trouble shooting is usually frowned upon  by manufactures.. Fixing something, heaven forbid, just throw it away..THIS IS THE NORM in this day and time...Sad....

PS...I still "fix" things...and then, if I fail, throw it away..

The end..

After more than 6 months of relatively flawless operations, useing the machine WITH the usb cable...I have concluded that the wireless aspect of this printer is absolutely not worth the time it takes to try to set it up and keep it going...

That's all I have to say about that..

Announcements