cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not knowing what a WPS button is = useless Pixma MX922

steprush
Apprentice

I just spent $200 on a brand new useless piece of garbage called Pixma MX 922. It is useless because the printer doesn't work. It doesn't work because (a) nothing in the directions or on this website explains where the WPS BUTTON is that I am supposed to press. (b) This p.o.s. does NOT enable me to choose  "standard setup". (c) customer service is closed. (Have you morons ever heard of opening a 24 hour/ 365 days call center in Mumbai like everybody else does nowadays?)

So I cannot call and ask the idiots at canon where this button is. Next time I will buy HP. I will check tomorrow and if this is deleted then I will be returning all five printers I bought today to the store. Learn how to communicate with normal people who don't instinctively know what a WPS button is.    

6 REPLIES 6

diverhank
Authority

Sorry for your troubles.  WPS stands for Wifi Protected Setup.  It is designed as an easy way to set up the wireless connection between the wireless router and the device (printer).  You can read up more about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Basically, the idea is to press a WPS button on your router and within a short period of time, also press a button on the printer.  The two devices will communicate, exchange secrets and you don't have to do anything.  For those who are too nervous that this can be intercepted by the next door neighbor who can also presses a WPS button on his device, you can choose the pin method where you have to enter a simplified pin number -which is printed in the back of the router.

The catch for this is...many wireless routers do not support Wps and therefore has no WPS button for you to push.  You can't use this method then, obviously.  The instruction on how to connect without the WPS button is in the manual, which may or may not come with the printer.  You can download it via this link.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/office_all_in_one_inkjet_prin...AndManuals

Good luck to you.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thank you, found the blue button on the wireless router and even though it was in a different room, it worked.

I don't have a wireless router as my mac functions as one. NO BUTTON.  I cannot use my very expensive MX 922 at all.  I went through the setup where you choose your wifi network and sign up that way and it worked three times--connected but would not print.  wait tenm inutes and HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN. Would not print no matter how many times I did this. There seems simply to be no way to get it to work.. I'm really sorry but it should not be this hard. This is not 1979. Things are supposed to be plug and Play and EASY. SHAME ON YOU. I cannot wait to unload this piece of garbage. In the meantime is there a magic wand or secret incantation I can use to print a single important document while I wait for a printer from this century to arrive? And I agree with the person above--tech support is pretty much a given in this century.  What's wrong with Canon that you can't have it too?

You can't even tell from this page whether or not you even have replies.  GREAT SITE CANON. YOur designer needs a good flogging.  I wish I had one of those steaming piles of poop emoticons. 

"The instruction on how to connect without the WPS button is in the manual, which may or may not come with the printer." What if this doesn't work either? It should not be this hard. 

br2
Apprentice

Dec 5, 2015  WPS button-- either your router has it or you choose the alternate.

We choose the alternate! 

other setup at the bottom of the screen symbol was the stop button-- press it!

Select standard

you'll type in your router code following what's printed on instruction screen--

you'll be able delete, for mistakes,  Make capitols, small letter and numbers.

When it's accurate--push ok- it tells you if you're connected or redo-- then push ok and continue with setup!!!

Announcements