cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx459 will not let me enter number in WEP key, only allows symbols/letters. how do i enter numbers?

jhsmith8
Apprentice

mx459 will not let me enter number in WEP key, in only allows symbols or letters. how do i enter numbers?

john

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
This might help

Press the SETUP button on your printer's control panel.
Using the arrows, select DEVICE SETTINGS, press OK.
Select LAN SETTINGS and press OK.
Select Wireless LAN Setup and press OK.
If a message appears to press the WPS button, press STOP to cancel.
Select STANDARD SETUP from the next screen that appears and press OK.
Highlight your access point or router and press OK.
Press OK again to confirm the access point name.
Enter your passphrase using the keypad to the right.
At the screen where you enter your passphrase, in the top right corner of the LCD screen you should see a :1 . This indicates that you are in numeric entry mode. If you press the asterisk key (*) it will switch to :A or uppercase letter mode, pressing asterisk again with switch to lowercase letter mode. To enter a letter in either letter mode, you will press the associated number key to cycle through the available letters. For example: To enter a letter "c", you will press the "2" key three times.
Press OK when done.
The LCD screen will say "Connected" if the password is correct.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Thank you! You made me figure out somethign that should have been easier, and for that I am very grateful! 🙂 AAA+++

Mr. Hoffman,

Totally worth registering just to tell you this. Thank you sir for your concise and accurate directions. Took me all of five minutes to sort everything after reading your post. I would think that this would be the prefered method as the WPS button method often resets the router and everyone today seemingly has 15 devices already connected to the router. But on the bright side reseting my router let me update my security. Great job and cheers to you sir, thank you again. 

Use the Symbol Button to toggle back and forth at the bottom right coner by the number 3 Its been a while Quite simple but someone had to show me to friend hope this helps if not I will run through it for you 

use the Symbols Key down in ther right hand lower cornier to toggle by or is the number 3 key thank you hope this helps Daryl 

I went looking for information on how to enter a wifi passcode using the LCD panel on the G4600 MFP (it's now 2018). It is poorly documented in the G4600 user manual. Cannon's official G4600 support information does not resolve the issue. John Hoffman's post from 2012, however, does resolve the issue for the G4600 in the same way as it would have done for the MX459.

One point to add to John's note: on the G4600 (maybe the other model too?), when entering numbers, an asterisk is shown on the LCD panel. Only when entering letters is the character visible to the user (and then only for an instant, before the display reverts to showing it as an asterisk). This is presumably because when entering letters, the user may need to press the key several times to cycle through the available letters for the selected key, whereas for numbers, there is only one possible result for a given key that is pressed.

Worked perfectly for my MX472 when all of the "official" Canon directions failed. Thnx!

Ani
Apprentice

That works for letters and  numbers but my passcode has the symbol # and it always enters a space when I try to enter it.

kaolinkid
Apprentice
Thanks for explaining it. Would have been much simpler if Cannon would have included in the instructions! Poorest set of instructions I've ever seen. As stated already in a previous post - "They are boar's nest of confusing references, disjointed instructions and presumptions by the presumptuous.  I can't believe Canon would read what is going on here and not be rushing to repair the damage".
That comment nails it. I'll stay away from Cannon going forward.

johnnysch
Apprentice

On the MG5460 there is no asterisk key, you have to use  Aa1 - the center key on the bottom row

zostar
Apprentice
Did this ever get answered? I want to enter a $
Announcements