cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I check to see if I have the proper router for the canon mx892, it tells me to press the wfs

laurisplath
Apprentice

1 REPLY 1

Devin
Enthusiast

Hi laurisplath!

The PIXMA MX892 can use any wireless router.  The button you are referring to is the WPS button which stands for Wireless Protected Setup.  What this does is allow you to press a button to make a connection between your printer and router.  If you do not have this button on your router, then you have two options to connect this through a network.  You can either perform the wireless setup using a USB cable with your computer or you can connect it through a wired ethernet connection.  If your printer is near your router, then I would recommend the second option of using a wired ethernet cable.  All you would need to do is connect one of those cables that has a plug that looks like a phone cord but is a little wider from your printer to an open port on the router. Once you do this, you will need to make one change on the printer because the default connection type is wireless.  Please perform the following:

1.  Press SETUP.

2.  Scroll to Device Settings, then press OK.

3.  Scroll to LAN Settings, then press OK.

4.  Scroll to Change wireless/wired, then press OK.

5.  Scroll to Wired LAN Active, then press OK.

6.  Press STOP/RESET to return to standby mode.

Your printer is now setup to use the wired LAN connection.  Please understand that you will still be able to use other devices through wireless.  Any computer connected to the router, whether through a wireless or wired ethernet connection, will be able to access the printer as long as the software is installed on each computer. 

The other option is to use a USB cable to perform the wireless setup.  If you would like specific instructions to do this, please reply with the operating system installed on your computer.

I hope this helps you get setup and configured.  Let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Announcements