cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot connect to printer wirelessly

tonyw
Apprentice

Even though both my computer and my printer are connected to the same wireless router, the status keeps saying that I can't contact my printer because the printer is not connected and the printer is offline. The printer is a Canon MX870 and I'm on a Macbook Pro 10.9.3. It's worked in the past and I've had to reconnect to the wireless several times, but it stopped working.

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi tonyw,

Reinstalling your PIXMA MX870 should resolve this issue.  Please follow these instructions to uninstall, download and reinstall the drivers:

1. Open the hard drive (Macintosh HD).

2. Open the 'Library' folder.

3. Open the 'Printers' folder.

4. Open the 'Canon' folder.

5. Send the 'BJ Printer' folder to the trash.

6. Return to the 'Library' folder.

7. Open the 'Receipts' folder.

8. Locate any items related to your printer and send them to the trash.  However, leave the 'Canon Printer Drivers.pkg' file in the folder.

9. Return to the 'Library' folder.

10. Open 'Image Capture'.

11. Open the 'Twain Data Sources' folder.

12. Send any Canon files related to your printer to the trash.

13. Restart your computer.

14. Empty the trash.

Next, the LAN Settings of your PIXMA MX870 should be reset:

1.  Press <SETUP>.

2.  Press the right arrow key to select Device Settings and press OK.

3.  Press the down arrow key to select LAN Settings and press OK.

4.  Press OK on Reset LAN Settings.

To setup your PIXMA MX870 for wireless use, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the <Setup> button.

2.  Use the left or right button to select Wireless LAN and press <OK>.

3.  Use the up or down button to select Yes and press <OK>.

4.  Select Easy setup and press <OK>.

5.  Select your access point name and press <OK>.

6.  Enter your WEP key and press <OK>.

7.  Press <OK> on the confirmation screen.  The PIXMA MX870 will search for the access point.

8.  When found, press <OK> on the Connected to the access point screen.

Please follow these steps to download the necessary files to begin installation:

1.  Visit Canon's website at:    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2.  Type PIXMA MX870 in the "Enter Your Model Name" box and click GO.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers & Software' link in the middle of the page.

4.  Under Recommended For You, please click on the MX870 series CUPS Printer Driver.

5.  If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

6.  Click the Download button.

7.  A File Download box should appear and the file will be saved automatically.

8.  Once the download is complete, click on the 'Drivers & Software' link again.

9.  Under Recommended For You, please click on the MX870 series Scanner Driver.

10.  If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

11.  Click the Download button.

13.  A File Download box should appear and the file will be saved automatically.

14.  Once the download is complete, click on the 'Drivers & Software' link again.

15.  Under Recommended For You, please click on the Canon IJ Network Tool.

16.  If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

17.  Click the Download button.

18.  A File Download box should appear. When it does, select Save.

19.  When the Save As box comes up, click Save.

20.  Once the download is complete, close all windows.

21.  Double click [mcpd-mac-mx870-10_84_2_0-ea13.dmg] to install the printer driver.

22.  Double click [msd_-mac-mx870-16_1_1a-ea8_2.dmg] to install the scanner driver.

23.  Double click [mnt_-mac-4_3_0-ea11.dmg].  Files will extract, follow the prompts to complete installation.

24.  Restart the computer.

When the computer restarts, please attempt to print.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Nanami
Apprentice

Im having the same probem for a while I dont want to switch printers but I need the wifi connection and I just went through all he steps and it still did not work on my I pack...Why is so difficult?

This is really starting to become annoying. I switched internet services and cannot connect wirelessly to my Canon PIXMA882 copier. I've tried everything and I get stuck on the screen to connect to an access point. I have checked my IP address and gateway settings and they are correct but still it cannot find an access point. The copier itself says"connected to the access point" but when I have the installation disc in my laptop it just won't connect to that access point. I've been messing with it for days and now it won't even print when I'm connected with USB.

Oldlakeman
Apprentice

I bought a new MG3600 and have been fighting this problem for a month. I can get the printer connected to my computer with a USB but it will not connect via WiFi. I get the same messages as I see in these posts. It seems to me to be a common problem with the Cannon printers. I sure would love to be able to print.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements