cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another computer is using the printer. no other computer....help

traveltwo
Apprentice

I am using a HP laptop.  Just upgraded to windows 8.1.  Now I get this message 'another computer is using the printer'  I have a PIXMA MG5420.  I am connected wireless.  Please help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ramona
Authority

Hi traveltwo,

Reinstalling the printer drivers on your computer may resolve the issue you are experiencing.  Before reinstalling, please restart your computer and the printer.  Once restarted, please click here to go to the Drivers and Software page for the PIXMA MG5420.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "DRIVERS" section and click the MINI MASTER SETUP file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded the MINI MASTER SETUP file, please double-click on it to reinstall the drivers on your computer.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Michael, I followed your instructions and the printer is now working.  Thank you so much for your help

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45

That may be a temporary solution. I have been restarting Printer Spooler (found in services in control panel) when this happens. Someone previously mentioned this. I actually now keep this screen mininmized on my desktop. I have found this to be the best solution to this ongoing issue

I had this perplexing problem. Only I use the printer, there is no network and the computer sits right next to the printer and I dont use other devices with the printer A Pixma MG5753.

I found and followed Crested_Grebe's advice  and it worked for me on Windows 10.

Control panel. System Security. Admin. tools. Services. Scroll to print spooler. Open print spooler. Stop it. Start it. Press ok.

and Bob was my Uncle. I was able to print again. No need to do anything with drivers.

Really, I could go USB lead connection. Wireless printing is very slow.

Very noisy, oversized machine this Canon. Good on ink and cartridges are fairly reasonable. Easy to change.

Not massively happy with photo quality, best results from the image garden, printing direct from photoshop poor, but results not as good as my old Epsom Stylus (went with the Canon because Epsom v. expensive on ink and highly sensitive to rejecting compatible cartridges). This machine is good as a text printing machine and does back to back an advantage when printing docs.

Bit fiddly too use, too many bells and whistles for me. Not quite at one with it.

Diwnload/Install another printer driver from the canon site.

I solved the problem with my iP8750 by holding the 'Resume' button for about 5 seconds. Printer clicked and whirred for around 2 minutes with white indicator flashing. When flashing stopped and all went quiet, printer was back to normal! Maybe I was just lucky? Try it.

We did use the USB cable, works ok on my husbands laptop, I still have to restart on mine and we keep getting the spare page. It’s a nuisance swapping the cable.  Story this is no help just empathy.

The reset pooler solution post should be bubbled up as the top solution as it actually solves the problem better than even Canon's proposed solution.  Shame on Canon.

Restart printer spooler. Control panel tools services. 

Worked perfectly, clear instructions, I didnt know that Administrive Tools > Services.  pages existed.  JUst need to find out what else i can do from there. Excellent job.

frpennybit

Brilliant! Worked for me - thank you! Patsy, France

So Very Thankful !!!!!!!  I am not techie in the least, and your post turned my frustration into success.  I can't thank you enough!

Announcements