cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless printing on PXIMA MX 492

richard7893
Apprentice

Hello all,

Until recently the wireless printing on my PIXMA MX 492 was working just fine. I changed my router, and ever since I have not been able to print wirelessly. I can connect to the wireless network with the printer, as it is able to detect local routers. I am able to type the password on the printer, and the following prompt says that I am connected. However when I try to print/scan from my computer or phone, these devices say that no printer is detected.

When I first got the printer, I was simply able to have the printer search for the wireless router, connect to it, and I was ready to print/scan as described above. 

I have followed the instructions from this video, which does something I've never had to do previously to get the printer to print wirelessly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBgN1TRmCi8

but it still does not work.

My other wireless devices work just fine, but my printer is not able to print/scan wirelessly. Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

proaspen
Apprentice

Forum Family,

Update to my posting.  Solved the issue.  Apparently, the Canon printer can't be connected to the network if you have to replace an ink cartridge (which I did, but didn't solve anything). Furthermore, the printer knows if you used a Canon Fine cartridge, which I didn't. As an aside: I found it strange that the printer didn't recognize a new cartridge when I installed it and prompt me to perform the head alignment procedure. At some point in my frustration, I searched on how to do a printer factory reset. In the many listed issues requiring a reset is listed print cartridge replacement. Anyway, I found the reset settings, and reset all of them. Blank canvas now. Did the wireless set up and voila, printer recognized. I (MacBook Air) scanned and printed fine. Spouse's computer (Windows 10) prompted the need for a print head need alignment (smarter laptop I guess). I did the alignment on the printer per procedure. Everything working fine now. Go figure - printer cartridge.....

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi richard7893,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Noreagle
Apprentice

Same problem.  Been working for 3 days with Tech Support by email and still nothing works.

VERY UNHAPPY!  Marketed as working with Chromebook, but it does not.  After 18 emails where nothing helps, I think I am going to dump my Chromebook and give away this printer.

VERY difficult to call USA whe one is living in Mexico, after paying custom charges, etc. to have this printer not perform as advertised.

BEWARE!

have uninstalled reinstalled several times.  Emailed tech support for a few days.  They had many suggestions which i tried but to this point nothing worked.  Very discouraging.  I strongly believe that even though they say MX 490 is compatiable with windows 10....don't believe it is.  Like i said before my older laptop with windows 7....printer worked just fine.

i wandered if i tried to do the usb connection maybe i could get it to work.

Have tried 'my printer' diagnose and repair......the latest was there was no printer driver....i had just installed

and  printer wasn't defaulted.

Can't make a printer default when there is none listed in devices and Printers.  God help me...or does anyone else have any other suggestions.   Ready to give up....Very disappointed.  Karen

proaspen
Apprentice

Hello Forum Members,

First timer here and I need some guidance.  It's the same as the previous discussion on this topic, but am not seeing any resolution. or any new discussion.  My story follows:  I have the PIXMA MX 492 printer.  It has been working fine since I moved into our new home in Jan 2020.  I have even swapped out Spectrum routers since then with no impact on printer function.  So, last week my wife and I tried to print (independently) data and nothing happened.  Neither of our computers no longer see the printer.  I'm using a MacBook Air laptop, and my spouse is on a Windows 10 laptop.  When the problem appeared, I went to the printer and the window said we were low on black ink.  Not sure why that would cause the computers to not see the laptop.  Regardless, I replaced the cartridge, and then powered off/on the printer just for kicks.  Printer window said "ready to print".  However our connection problem did not go away.  So, I went through the process of setting up the printer wirelessly following the instructions on the video, etc.  There's a screen during the process that shows the computer connected to the router and the printer connected to the router.  I'm not sure if that's just a screen pop-up, or one showing actual device connectivity.  I'm hoping it's the latter.  At the very end of the set up process, the computer looks for the printer, and, sadly, can't find it.  So, I go to the printer window and called up the network settings and printed them out.  It says it's connected to my router.  I even go through the process of updating firmware via the printrer panel.  Process completed with no issues.  I access the router from my computer and look at the devices connected and one of them is the printer (confirmed via IP address).

The printer works fine when USB cable is connected, so at least I can print/scan the "hard way".

Any guidance/ideas from you experts out there would be sincerely appreciated.

proaspen
Apprentice

Forum Family,

Update to my posting.  Solved the issue.  Apparently, the Canon printer can't be connected to the network if you have to replace an ink cartridge (which I did, but didn't solve anything). Furthermore, the printer knows if you used a Canon Fine cartridge, which I didn't. As an aside: I found it strange that the printer didn't recognize a new cartridge when I installed it and prompt me to perform the head alignment procedure. At some point in my frustration, I searched on how to do a printer factory reset. In the many listed issues requiring a reset is listed print cartridge replacement. Anyway, I found the reset settings, and reset all of them. Blank canvas now. Did the wireless set up and voila, printer recognized. I (MacBook Air) scanned and printed fine. Spouse's computer (Windows 10) prompted the need for a print head need alignment (smarter laptop I guess). I did the alignment on the printer per procedure. Everything working fine now. Go figure - printer cartridge.....

Unable to link MX492 to Dell laptop. Windows 10.

TP LInk router had died. Replaced with Google Nest WIFI router. Could not sync with the computer. The nest does not have any buttons on it and only one connection to a modem.

1. Set up mode - Wireless LAN setting

2. Standard Setting (Since no WPS button).....Found the router.. Hooray!!!

3. Router Direct entry.

4  Enter WiFi Router - ??? Entered router Google Nest  Account name after first trying the names "Google Nest WiFi." and combinations of the name.

5  Enter Passphrase - ??? Entered  Google Nest Password

Failed to Connect.

COVID quarantine gives me plenty of time to waste. Someone Please help.

Hi ok1wire,

Google Neset provides both a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network.  The PIXMA MX492 will only connect to the 2.4Ghz network.  You may have to isolate the networks by renaming the 2.4Ghz network or temporarily disable the 5Ghz network so that you can connect your PIXMA MX492 to your Wi-Fi.  Please contact Google for further assistance with this.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements