cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI 5Ghz

tjisret
Apprentice

Just bought the Canon MG6620 and I have connected it to my Home Network with out a problem and she is working great!  But it connected to the 2.4Ghz Band of my router. But I was just wondering does this printer support the 5Ghz Band which I would much rather connect to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi tjisret,

The PIXMA MG6620 is not compatible with the 5Ghz band of routers.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Ramona
Authority

Hi tjisret,

The PIXMA MG6620 is not compatible with the 5Ghz band of routers.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

What Canon printer does support 5 GHz? In my environment 2.4 GHz is too crowded and I moved my whole WLAN to 5GHz.

Hello.

Our printers are not able to connect to 5.0GHz networks.  If you have a printer that has an Ethernet connection, consider using this connection instead.  Devices that connect to the same router should be able to access the printer this way.

If additional assistance is needed with this matter, find more help at Contact Us.

Gee, that would have been nice to know before doing research on decent printers that are affordable, ordering, driving two hours both ways to purchase, then spending better than another hour trying to get the thing set up. Now, I have to go purchase a USB cable (which, inconveniently, the printer did not come with).

Your setup disc, by the way, did not fit in my disc drive. The center hole was too small and the disc ended up wedged inside the drawer. Thankfully, I was able to retrieve the disc by shaking my CPU with the driver door open and fishing it out with a pair of tweezers.

While Canon has by far the most affordable ink cartridges, that does not make me feel any better about my "wireless" printer not being wireless, simply because we chose a 5g wifi router.

Ever think of maybe stating that tidbit of information on THE BOX??

I, too, was surprised to find out that my Canon G4210 wireless/USB printer does not make 5 GHz connections.  I recently upgrade my router and it has a single SSID which automatically makes both 2.4 and 5 GHz connections.  All older 2.4 GHz devices connected just fine with a sole exception - the Canon printer.  That tells me if other 2.4 GHz devices are not confused by the combined frequencies in a single SSID, then there is something fundamentally shortsighted in the installation software, as it thinks there is only a 5 GHz SSID to connect to.  really like this printer, but because ethernet and 5 GHz wireless connections are not options, it is a big letdown which offsets the benefit of having large ink wells. Any chance CANON to refine the installation software to recognize dual 2.4 / 5 GHz SSID? MOST DISSAPOINTED.

UPDATE 7/2/2020:  Canon Technical Support walked me through Settings on the printer panel - now I am connected without having a separate SSID for 2.4 GHz.  THANK YOU CANON TECHNICAL SUPPORT! 

tinyteri
Contributor
What about a wireless network USB dongle?

tinyteri
Contributor
Linksys Wireless-AC USB Adapter (Manufacturer Refurbished)

Upgrade Wireless Speeds

Plugs into laptops and desktop PCs
Provides faster Wireless-AC speeds
Supports transfer speeds of up to 433MBps
Dual-Band Connectivity

Compatible with 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
Helps prevent interference
433MBps on 5GHz band, 150MBps on 2.4GHz

tinyteri,

A standard Wi-Fi router will be needed in order to access the printer wirelessly over a network.  If one is not available, the printer will have to be connected to your computer via USB cable.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

tinyteri
Contributor
If i get a dual band wireless repeater can I use the Ethernet port on it to make it work? Mines a mx470
Announcements