cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX870 not recognized

David_Faith
Apprentice

We recently had a big lightning storm and it took out our Pixma MX870. We've had this machine for a couple of years, and it's the best all-in-one we've ever had, so I was saddened to find that it was no longer in production. I found a used one on ebay and made the purchase. While waiting for it to arrive, just to make sure the old one was dead, I plugged it back in OMG it works!  So, all is well, and the ebay printer will be the back up just in case this happens again- except I'm having trouble getting the new machine to work. It powers up fine, and will perform basic functions like making a copy, all of the set-up functions seem OK, but i cant get it to print/scan from the computers. The machine is wired to the wireless router (Linksys) but none of our laptops will recognize it. I've set it up just like our other one, but it will not work. This morning I hooked it directly to my laptop with a USB cable- same results.

The prior owner used it with a Mac, and we're Windows. Is there something that needs to be reset or printer name changed, or ???

The drivers/software that are installed on all of our machines work the old MX870 just fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi David_Faith

There could be a few things causing this issue.  First, let's check your network connection.  Since you are using a wired LAN, make sure the wired LAN connection is set as "active".

1. Press the Setup button on your printer.
  2. Select Device Settings and then press OK.
  3. Select LAN Settings, then OK.
  4. Select Change wireless/wired and press OK.
  5. Be sure that "Wired LAN active" is highlighted.  If not, highlight it and press OK.

Connectyournetworkcabletotheprinterandruntheinstallationprogramagain.  IfyouareusingWindows7orearlier, the bundled CD-ROM can be used fortheinstallation.  IfyouareusingWindows8, downloadtheupdated drivers from our website.

If this didn't work, or if you have any other questions, please feel free to Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

monshes
Apprentice

My MX 870 stopped working. Could not be found on the network either wired or wifi. Had worked for years same configuration. Was about to give up but found out it works on USB. Is this possible? Is there a way to restore network capability? This is a lot nicer thqn the newer units.

When I restarted the router I could print using wifi. So a router issue was the cause in my case.

Announcements