cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MP970 printer works on wifi network but scanner doesnt

faitschb
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MP970 that is connected by ethernet cable to wifi network router. The printer works on the home wifi network but the scanner says it is not connected.   Both scanner and printer will work on USB cable.  To get the printer on my home network I had to make a new port manually with MAC codes -it wont work otherwise since MP970 doesnt have its own wifi.   The scanner used to work on the wifi network, probably before I had installed Windows 10.    I have uninstalled the printer software and reinstalled using the CD installer that came with the printer.  I know the printer is old but I cant help thinking that there must be a fix so I can use the scanner on the wifi network, as I used to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please help me better understand what you mean by, "To get the printer on my home network I had to make a new port manually with MAC codes -it wont work otherwise" ??

If you had to create a port manually for the printer, you would not use it's MAC address, you would want to use an IP address.

Does this printer have a built in webserver?  Can you access it?  Can you see its scanner there?

I would suggest the following:

Remove the printer from your machine

Remove whatever port you created in Device and Printers

Restart your PC

Reconnect the printer to your router and power on

Power cycle the printer and ensure the router has assigned it the IP you expect

Now return to your computer and Add the printer > Network Printer

Select radio button "Add printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname

Specify the IP, windows will create the port

You can then allow windows to download a compatible driver for the printer/scanner

If you want, you can run the printer installer software Get the latest version from the Canon Website

It should have no problem detecting the printer that is already connected to the PC

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please help me better understand what you mean by, "To get the printer on my home network I had to make a new port manually with MAC codes -it wont work otherwise" ??

If you had to create a port manually for the printer, you would not use it's MAC address, you would want to use an IP address.

Does this printer have a built in webserver?  Can you access it?  Can you see its scanner there?

I would suggest the following:

Remove the printer from your machine

Remove whatever port you created in Device and Printers

Restart your PC

Reconnect the printer to your router and power on

Power cycle the printer and ensure the router has assigned it the IP you expect

Now return to your computer and Add the printer > Network Printer

Select radio button "Add printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname

Specify the IP, windows will create the port

You can then allow windows to download a compatible driver for the printer/scanner

If you want, you can run the printer installer software Get the latest version from the Canon Website

It should have no problem detecting the printer that is already connected to the PC

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks very much!   That solves the problem - I havent had the scanner for some time now, but both work now. Thanks again

One thing - I did create a new port with the MAC address which I found on the printer. 

The printer is hooked up to the router by an ethernet cord since it doesnt have native wifi. I have always hooked it up to the network by installing a port with the MAC address that is found in the printer. My family laptops all are setup on the home network using this port for the printer.  I wasn't able to use a port using the IP address - I tried.  It probably isnt a common setup, but it was a workaround to be able to use a non-wifi printer on the home wifi network.   It stopped working when we went to Windows 10 but we're back in business now Thank you.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART102395&cat=2181B002&actp=LIST

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. Glad you are scanning again. Its always helpful to know when a solution worked.

Cheers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements