cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TS6002 "Printer Not Connected" error

blockislandhead
Contributor

Just bought this printer. Set it the wireless connection on each of two laptops. t worked fine the first time. The next day when we tried to print from either printer, we get a "Printer not connected" error. We went through the add printer steps as described in the manual again. Again they worked, but the next day got the same error. So noe we need to either figure this out or return the printer. Any help will be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

Jason
Whiz

Hello!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the version of Windows or Mac you are trying to connect the printer to.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help via Email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks!

It is Mac 10.13.3

Greetings,

Based on your description, works for a day, then stops, I suspect this is due to the IP address of the printer changing.

If you are not using a static IP with the printer and allow its IP to be assigned using DHCP, it will definitely change when the printer goes to sleep, and your router or DHCP server doesn't hear from it before the lease expires. 

IP's in the DHCP pool are "reclaimed" and assigned to new devices that come and go from your network. 

If you use a static IP address, the printer always gets the same IP address and a device connecting to your network will always be able to find it using its static IP, because it doesn't change.  A static IP can be reserved on yuor router using the pinters MAC address.  This tells the router, to never give the IP address you have set on the printer to another device, even if the printer is turned off or not used for days, weeks, etc.

I would suggest setting up the printer to use a static IP.  then wait a day and let us know the results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

delete

Hi,

Unless you have identical hardware, its not a good idea to hijack anothers post.  Here's why.  It makes it difficult to respond and makes it hard for others searching for solutions to the same issue.  This is because every environment is typically different. (network hardware, printer, computer - MAC or PC) examples.  So its a good idea to start your own thread so it gets the visibility it deserves.

Setting a static IP is something you do first on your router or DHCP server.  It is what controls IP assigmnet of devices joining the network (printer for example).  How its done is beyond the scope of the forum, because again, everyone uses different hardware.  The option will be callled "Address Reservation" , "Static IP:" or similar.  What you are basically doing is telling your router or servers DHCP function to always give a device (printer in theis case) the same IP address, even if it "comes and go's" from the network (such as when its sleeping or turned off for a while).  The IP address you choose is reserved and assigned to a device by its MAC address.  Once configured, the device with the MAC address you've reserved will always get the same IP. 

As devices come and go from the network, none will ever be assigned the IP you have specified (reserved) for the printer.  A device will always be able to find the other resource because its IP will not change. 

These are the steps for setting on a netgear product...  but each manufacturer varies slightly and might be different based on the version of firmware.

To reserve an IP address:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network.
  2. A login window displays.
  3. Enter the router user name and password.  The BASIC Home page displays.
  4. Select ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.  The LAN page displays.
  5. In the Address Reservation section, click the Add button.  The page will refresh.
  6. In the IP Address field, type the IP address to assign to the computer or server.  Choose an IP address from the router’s LAN subnet, such as 192.168.1.x. (follow the current IP scheme in use)
  7. Type the MAC address of the computer or server.
    If the computer is already on your network, you can copy its MAC address from the Attached Devices page and paste it here.
  8. Click the Apply button.  The reserved address is entered into the table.

The reserved address is not assigned until the next time the computer/printer or resource contracts the router’s DHCP server. Reboot/restart the device, or access its IP configuration and force a DHCP release and renew.

Tips:

Printers MAC address can be found...  sticker on the printers box, sticker on the back or bottom of the printer itself..  or by looking in its network configuration settings.  It is also possible to see its MAC address in the admin console of your router once the device is connected.  Where this is displayed, again varies depending on the manufacturer. 

Of course with the limited information we have,  I cannot garuntee this is the problem you are experiencing, but doing this will not hurt the situation as it puts you in control and ensures with certainty how the device will be identified on your network.  Hope this helps.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowspots,

You lost me at step 1. Launch a web browser. I guessed you mean one like Chrome? What login window do you mean.

The router is built into the modem supplied by my internet provider. It is a HiltonTechnologies brand.

I think you mean Hitron (which is rebranded Netgear)

No Problem...  Yes any web browser will work.  The gateway IP address will be the routers IP, evevn if its a modem/router combo. 

So if you have a PC, open a command prompt..

Start menu > run command > (type) CMD > then press enter

Command Prompt window opens (black looking dialog box)

At the prompt type >ipconfig /all

Example

C:\Users\ItAdmin>ipconfig /all              (don't forget to press enter)

One of the entries below will look like this (wired or wireles) depending on what you use.  I've removed some of the info. 

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A4--06
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:640:889(Preferred)
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601::8601(Preferred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::%14(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.122(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:12:30 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:57:15 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :  192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 1461
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01--06
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:640:9fe7
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

The gateway IP will be the IP you can use to get to your routers web interface.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I know how to get to the command prompt if I have a PC ... but it is a Mac and I don't know how to get to a DOS-like command prompt

It is incredible to me that an out of the box Canon printer is so difficult to set-up

Thanks for your efforts

Easy to do on a MAC as well.  Use Finder....

Navigate to your Utilities folder /Applications/Utilities. In there you should Terminal. You can launch this and at the prompt type:

ping whateverIPaddressyouwant

Control+C will stop the ping.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements