Judi_pence
Apprentice

My MX450 series printing shows "offline" every time I power up

16 REPLIES 16

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Judi_pence.

To try and resolve this error, please restart your computer.  Then turn the printer off and back on.  Once this has been done try printing to test the unit.

If these troubleshooting steps do not work, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My MX 452 does the same thing. Each time I bring my laptop back to my home office and power up (Windows 😎 and then try to print the MX 452 reports that it is offline. If I turn off the printer and then turn it back on again, it works fine. So the error can be resolved using these steps. The ISSUE is that since it's a wireless printer connected to the network it should not need to be restarted each time the computer reconnects with the network.

I'm also facing the same problem as kjor5000. The printer is on (low on ink, but still prints), but every time I want to print, I have to manually restart the printer (turn off and then back on, which takes about 20 seconds). It defeats the purpose of having a network printer that is on all the time. At this point, it would save me more time to just keep the printer off until I need it (it takes longer to turn off than to power on).

Hi calvinh,

To try and resolve the issue, we will want to ensure that the printer has proper wireless communication occurring. For proper wireless communication to occur, it is important that network devices are suitably located. Please ensure the following:

1. The printer and the access point are located within the wireless connectivity range with no obstacles between them.

2. The distance between the printer and the access point is not too far. If they are too far, move them closer together.

3. There is no barrier or obstacle between the printer and the access point. In general, connection performance decreases for communications through walls or between different floors. Adjust the locations to avoid such situations.

4. There are no sources of radio interference near the printer and the access point. The wireless connection may use the same frequency band as microwave ovens and other sources of radio interference. Try to keep the printer and the access point away from such sources.

5. Check if the radio channel of the access point is close to that of other access points nearby. If the radio channel of the access point is close to that of other access points nearby, the connection performance may become unstable. Be sure to use a radio channel that does not interfere with other access points.

6. The printer and the access point face each other. Connection performance may depend on the orientations of the wireless devices. Replace the access point and the printer in another direction to achieve the best performance.

Once these items have been verified, if you still experience difficulty, please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The router and the printer are in the same room about 10 feet from each other (direct line of sight). And, since after each printer restart, it can print just fine, it's almost certainly not due to a poor wireless signal. I guess I'll have to call to have this issue sorted.

I am experiencing the same problem as well.

Did you find a solution for this problem? It's getting a bit tiresome to restart the printer every day...

Hi,

I have been through all of the steps mentioned and I am still having the problem.  Specifically, I am required to reboot the printer or manually reconnect the printer to my access point after the printer has been idle for approx 30 minutes.  This problem is independent of the computer OS (I have the problem with Windows 8, 10 and Mac OS) and across a couple of different types of access points.  I actually have 3 MX 450s that exhibit this problem in 3 different locations.  Has anyone solved this issue?

Thanks

Hi wallopee,

Disabling the IPv6 and DRX settings on the printer may resolve the issue being experienced.  To do this, please follow these steps from the printer's operation panel:

To disable IPv6 settings:

1. Press the SETUP button (looks like a pair of pliers and a screwdriver).

2. Use the arrow buttons to select DEVICE SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

3. Use the arrow buttons to select LAN SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

4. Use the arrow buttons to select TCP/IP SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

5. Use the arrow buttons to select IPv6, then press the OK button. The message [LAN communication may be disabled Press [OK] to continue] will scroll across the display. Press the OK button.

6. Use the arrow buttons to select ENABLE/DISABLE IPv6, then press the OK button

7. Use the arrow buttons to select INACTIVE, then press the OK button. Press the SETUP button to return to the main setup menu.

To disable DRX Settings:

1. Press the SETUP button (looks like a pair of pliers and a screwdriver).

2. Use the arrow buttons to select DEVICE SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

3. Use the arrow buttons to select LAN SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

4. Use the arrow buttons to select OTHER SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

5. Use the arrow buttons to select DRX SETTING, then press the OK button.

6. Use the arrow buttons to select INACTIVE, then press the OK button. This will return you to Other Settings menu. Press the SETUP button to return to the main setup menu.

Once both settings have been set, please press the COPY button on the printer to go to the main copy screen.

If you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here for further assistance.  A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Hi Ramona,

This did not fix the problem, although I am getting a different message. Instead of the printer dialog box stating that the printer is "offline", it states the "Printer is offline" with a completed blue status bar with the message "Printing - Look for printer...

I am able to connect to the MX 450 Web Configuration page and see that the printer is on-line and has a valid IP Address.

If I reboot the printer, all documents in queue immediately begin to print.

Thanks,

John C.

Announcements