cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My MG5220 printer keeps going offline

trazerogers
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MG5220 printer and an HP laptop running Windows 8.  The printer keeps going off line despite the fact that I have re-installed it multiple times.  Sometimes it works for a while and sometimes it only works a time or two and then the next time I use it it;s offline again. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi trazerogers,

Please ensure the following for optimum wireless communication:

1. The access point is located indoors within 50 meters of the access point.

2. There is no source of radio wave interference in your vicinity. There may be a device such as a microwave oven using the same frequency bandwidth as the wireless station.  Place the wireless devices as far away from the interference source as possible.

Also, the printer can be connected via an "A to B" USB cable if needed.  The USB port is located on the back of the printer on the same side as the operation panel.  Please click here for more information on the "A to B" USB cable.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Shanna
Enthusiast

Hello trazerogers!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know if you are connected via USB or WI-FI. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

I am connected via wi-fi.  To my knowledge this model does not have the ability to be connected any other way.  There is no USB port that I can find.

I'm on wifi we can't go on line the wifi light is on , tks for any help

Ramona
Authority

Hi trazerogers,

Please ensure the following for optimum wireless communication:

1. The access point is located indoors within 50 meters of the access point.

2. There is no source of radio wave interference in your vicinity. There may be a device such as a microwave oven using the same frequency bandwidth as the wireless station.  Place the wireless devices as far away from the interference source as possible.

Also, the printer can be connected via an "A to B" USB cable if needed.  The USB port is located on the back of the printer on the same side as the operation panel.  Please click here for more information on the "A to B" USB cable.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the tips.  The printer is sitting on the desk right next to the wi-fi router with the access point.  They are both located in a separate bedroom while the microwave is in the kitchen and there is no other device in that bedroom (no tv or other electronic device at all)  I have tried using my laptop in the living room and right on the desk next to the wi-fi access point and printer and it makes no difference as to the printer being offline.  My printer has an A USB connection on the front but I was able to locate the B USB connection on the back of the printer so I guess I will just connect a cord for use when it goes off line.  It is very frustrating to have purchased a device specifically for wi-fi only to find that it won't stay connected and I have to use it a hardwired connection which is why I bought a new printer to avoid.  Thanks anyway for your answer.

fmrhodes
Apprentice

I had this problem with my MG5520 for about three years.   I finally figured out that it was incompatibility with my routers WiFi protocol.    I have a Motorola SBG6782-AC 802.11b/g/n router.   To keep my printer on-line I had to set the router to b/g only mode (going to wireless settings on the routers html pages -- http://192.160.0.1 on my network).   This was the only thing that worked after trying almost everything on the printer.    Now instead of dropping off-line every day or so my printer has reliably been on-line for over a month.

I have a more complicated issue with my MG 5520 printer connected via WiFi. It frequently shows as being offline, but only for some computers on the network. When it shows as offline from one computer, I can pretty much always print from a different computer. The printer sits 6 feet from a WiFi access point (running as 802.11/g) And I can always access its control panel web page from all computers - including the ones that report it as offline. So the network connection is fine, yet the computers frequently see it as offline. What is interesting is that I never had this problem with my MacBook. The problem has been happening for me only from Windows 10 machines. When this happens, restarting the printer does not help. I would like to report it as a bug to Canon, and be happy to provide additional diagnostic data.

You might check to see if re-booting your router fixes it.   Not recently with my printer but for some other devices (e.g. TIVO boxes, tablets) I've seen them "come and go" and gotten into the habit of rebooting my router at least once a week.   I can't be sure but I get the sense that the routers tables get "out of sync" with DHCP clients coming and going.   I did assign my printer to a fixed IP address (from the router, forcing it to give the same address to the printer's MAC everytime) and so it doesn't seem to get "lost" like some other devices.

This is more "empirical" than a truely diagnosed solution but it seemed effective in my network.

Thank You fmrhodes.  I have the same router.  Set WIFI protocol to b/g and problem solved.

Announcements