cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 loses wireless connection

guymartin2
Apprentice

I have modified my original message after talking to Linksys (Router) support and Canon support.

My OS on my computer is Vista 64-bit.  My Router is Cisco Linksys E4200.  I have one desktop computer, the printer, 2 iphones and 1 iPad.  Seems to lose connection when printer goes into sleep mode.  Rebooting the printer (OR rebooting the router) reestablishes the connection temporarily , usually  for 6-9 minutes, it has stayed connect longer, but it always goes offline.  I currently have the computer connected with a USB cable, but would like to use it wireless.  To print from the iPad or iPhones you have to reboot the router or printer, then print.  I have been told by Canon that it is a router setting, and I have just spoken to Linksys support today and they say it is the printer going to sleep that causes the loss of connection so the solution is not to change the router settings.  Seems to me, there should be some way to turn off the 'sleep mode' feature on the printer (Canon support says there is no option to turn it off).  That would solve the problem.  Does anyone have a slotuion, apparently neither Canon or Linksys do.  Thanks, Guy   

28 REPLIES 28

jshukert
Contributor

Here's what worked for me.  My router channel was set to "automatic".  When I set it to a specific channel, the same channel that the printer was reporting as its channel, I was able to connect and print without a problem.  There was also a checkbox that said to keep the setting during power cycles, and I checked that.

CLH
Apprentice

Don't know whether this will help those with sleeping MX922's, but will put my experience out there.

I bought a Canon MX922 in December 2014 and began to have wireless communications problems that started between my Windows 8.1 OS based computer and the printer after seveal months of use. The computer would lose communication  with the printer; but could be re-iniated by re-installing the driver software on the computer.

Communication would only last for several days and then the printer would go silent (asleep) again and re-installation of software would begin again. 

I also had an older computer running Windows XP connected to the same wireless U-VERSE gateway by cable (ethernet). It was apparently not affected by the wireless communications between the Windows 8.1 OS machine and printer. From this, it appeared to be a problem with the wireless machine running Windows 8.1 OS and its communication with the Canon MX922.      

I called Canon and went through several extensive "song and dance" sessions which accomplished nothing. Everything they suggesed PASSED as computers, gateway, and printers are all in the same room and signal levels on all machines are 100%. However, this never stopped the printer from going to sleep.

Later, I inadvertantly discovered what the "printer" problem was in a failure of wireless communication between my computer and the Canon MX922 printer.

I discovered this from Norton when Norton 360 informed me that they could not run an update on my Windows 8.1 OS computer.

Norton then suggested that I UNLOCK FAST STARTUP on the Windows 8.1 based computer. (This can be found under the Control Panel in Power Options).

For some reason after unlocking the FAST STARTUP, the Printer Folder in the computer created a secondary MX922 Copy.

I deleted this secondary Canon MX922 Copy leaving the original alone.

After this, correct communication and operation between computer and printer occured. I have been using this configeration and it has worked ever since. 

Apparently, the MX922 printer cannot handle (or at least was intermittant) in FAST STARTUP on the Windows 8.1 Operating System when each were in the wireless configuration!

HERE is the fix!!!!  Go to settings then LAN settings then other settings then " wireless LAN drx" and disable it.

Your printer will no longer disconnect! 

This is a power saving feature that is malfunctioning.

Merry Christmas

😁😁😁😁

jshukert
Contributor

Here's another possible cause for the problem.  Today, I connected remotely to my office from my PC with a secure VPN connection.  The printer wasn't responding during the secure connection, and even after I closed the connection, not even from a Mac laptop.  I tried rebooting the router and the printer and nothing worked.  Finally, I shutdown everything and restarted, and printing started working, even for the Mac laptop.  I haven't completely figured it out yet, but I think that the secure connection did something to the router that affected the printer, until I shutdown the PC that I was using for the secure connection.  I've noticed this before, that sometimes the secure connection seems to affect the wireless network, but I haven't figured out what it is, only that shutting down the PC that had the secure connection seems to fix the problem.

Np123
Apprentice
I have had the same problem with my Mac. I am using the airport time capsule. When I updated it to version 7.7.7 my issues were resolved!! Go to the airport utility and check the version and update if needed. If you are not using a time capsule then maybe your router needs updating.

noormotani
Contributor
Sorry but I use windows based computer. My wifi modem is supplied by Shaw Cable

scifinerd
Apprentice

If there is no fast fix for this, I will trash my Canon and get a new non-Canon printer.  We cannot keep getting up from two rooms to print.  The Canon sleeps in very few minutes and I find no solution online and am tired of turning off waiting, then turning on the printer.  Worse than wired!!!!!

spirestocks
Enthusiast
The fast fix is to establish/set a static IP address in router for the appropriate MAC address (network and wireless config) mode of printer outside of DHCP range. I have never had a problem since doing that even after turning on and off printer. This approach always works. Canon can not suggest based on liability and issues in different designs and configurations of different routers. The router people point to printer and printer points to router people noting they have to work together when a new device connects to router and "takes" the current address of printer when in sleep mode
Announcements