cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 keeps going offline

williampeck1958
Enthusiast

I set up the MX922 a couple of weeks ago, it's a nice printer, but it keeps going offline !!!! Why is that ? Yesterday I checked the properties and there was a checkmark beside "Use Printer Offline". How in the world it got like that is beyond me, so I unchecked it, and started printing, everything good. Now today it's offline and I can't get it to come online at all . . .  WTF ???? The property "Use Printer Offline" is UNchecked, so that's not the issue . . . It's connected via wireless. This post says you have to keep turning ther printer off and back on to wake it up . . . is that true ???? if so, that's going to make me mad(der than I already am).

So I turned it off, back on, and the printer is now "Ready" ! yea for small miracles, but then I went to print and it won't print !!! it says in the little Canon box "Another printer is using the printer . . . The following status is the usage status of that computer." . . . but there's NO "status of the other computer" . Man Sad

So I fiddled with the print queue and it looked like the printer was going to print, then it stopped and did nothing. so I canceled the job from the print queue, tried to print again, first it says "Port is in use", then it went again to ""Another printer is using the printer".

So I shut down Computer B (Windows 7-64 bit), and tried to connect to the printer via wireless . . . it couldn't find the printer when I tried to "Add Printer". So I went through the steps to connect to the wireless router, connected !!!! It still couldn't find the printer 😞

So I plugged in the computer to a USB port, it found it right away, but won't print !!! Now it says "The printer is performing another operation" !!! WTF x 2 !!! What operation might this be ????

So I turned the printer off, back on, and the previous document that wouldn't print due to "The printer is performing another operation" printed ! Woo-hoo, I thought . . . so I tried to print again, and back to square 1: "The Printer is offline" . . . BUT the Control panel settings says that the Printer is Ready !!! ahhhhhhhhh

Now it's printing normally, but it's connected via USB.

Not exactly smooth sailing for a fancy printer . . . . sheesh . . .

==========================================================

Update: I conncted the printer to PC A, which is my main computer, via USB cord. Now everything is working fine.  I set up PC B to the network, and it recognized the printer and I added the printer, but it's shared from PC A.

My conclusion is the wireless doesn't work as expected - too much goofing around and nothing controling the printer. Everything is good now, except for the wireless being a POS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lee333
Apprentice

First, Go to Start > Devices and Printers, and make sure your printer is set to default. If not, right click and set to default. Next, Right click the printer icon and select "See What's Printing". Click on "Printer" and Deselect "Use Printer Offline".

This should fix the issue, however, the root cause is usually but not always caused by trying to print from an attachment in an email. Pop-up blockers and internet connections can sometimes interfere and cause a printer to go offline. Download the attachment first, open it and then print. You can file or trash the attachment after it prints. Hope this helps. BTW, on a related issue, adding a printer in the devices and printers window can sometimes add the generic Windows Update printer driver. It does not work well with multi-function devices. The best driver to install for all multi-function printers is the one on the installation CD or the driver posted on the driver support page of the printer manufacturer.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

jduzan
Apprentice

I just gave up on LAN printing and strung a USB cable   NOT what I wanted to do.  Had to download the USB driver, and it worked for a couple of days, then back to the old 'printer is offline' message.   Troubleshooter has no idea, can not find the printer connected.   Piece of junk, back to HP I  guess.

Phrio
Apprentice

My MX922 went offline after working fantasic for a few months. After some reading and trying everything else to fix it,  I realized my router was the issue, not the printer. I simply rebooted my router and my printer came back online. I guess after not being used for a certain amount of time, my router (RT-N66R) stops sending signal. Rebooting is only temporary im assuming, if i wanted to fix this problem permanetly I would have to disable that feature via router settings. Since I forgot my user and password to access my router settings, I would have to reset my router and reconfigure it. I'd rather stick to rebooting for now... hope this helps anyone

For NETGEAR, the login user is: "admin" and the pwd: "password". For other routers you may be able to look online.  The solution I discovered was going to the advanced tab [192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm] for NETGEAR routers> Setup> LAN setup and assigning the current working IP address, after printer initialization, to the MAC address and name of printer, so that the router reserves the IP address for printer and does not dynamically drop or add the printer with a new ip address which does not coincide with port and IP address that the printer was previously using.  If you do have to re-install drivers and go through process, make sure you reset the LAN settings on the printer touch screen; otherwise, the new port and ip address assignment will not take.

Capdhp
Apprentice
I have had all of the same issues and have frustratingly tried all of the solutions noted. Nothing seems to solve, but I found the perfect solution.
I am throwing this **bleep** thing out and have bought an HP printer. Problem solved.

Lolly
Apprentice

My relatively new Canon printer 922 PIXMA keeps going offline for no reason. I use a USB cord- so we're not talking Wifi here.

Hi Lolly! 

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forums!

The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback.

If you are in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team. 

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

We hope this helps! 

The FIX is to go into:

Setup - Device Settings - LAN settings - other settings - TCP/IP settings - IPv6 - DISABLE 

- Truong Vu

Truong Vu, your solution will more than likely work or at least be part of the solution for some people experiencing this problem (may also need to assign a static IP address to the printer). However, by disabling IPv6 the way you recommend will disable it for everything; and now that IPv4 addresses have run out of assignable numbers, newer technology is taking advantage of IPv6 more and more.

By accessing the printer's Network Settings page via a web browser as described by Bob4's solution, you can disable IPv6 for only the printer; thereby leaving the overall IP settings set to access IPv6 when necessary.

VuTruong
Contributor
The instructions were for disabling it on the printer. We disabled it on all the printers at the companies I worked in IT for. Didn’t matter if it was Xerox, Canon, or HP. Static IPs would help but most home routers are not congested enough to run out of addresses.
Announcements