cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 goes to sleep and loses WiFi connection

bruceadler
Contributor

I have a new MX922 that replaced a dead MX870. The old MX870 worked fine until it died but this new MX922 doesn't work correctly on my WiFi network. And the only thing that's changed is the printer (all the other PCs and printers and the Wifi router are the same as before and still work just fine). The new MX922 goes to sleep and can't be woken up from any PC on my network (to print or scan). The old MX870 NEVER had a problem on this WiFI network and NEVER had a problem with sleep mode. I also still have two MX890s that still work just fine. When the MX922 stops responding to pings, the blue WiFi logo on the front is on, and the Network Configuration Page always says "Connection Active" (but it's not).  Any suggestions that it's my router or my PC driver's fault is nonsense. It's clearly a MX922 WiFi bug which Canon needs to fix ASAP.

Over the past few weeks I've discovered that if the printer goes to sleep for an extended period it frequently "loses" it's WiFi connection and nothing I do from my PC will let me print to or scan from it. Basically it stops responding to pings (which tells me that its WiFi network connection is the issue). I usually discover the printer is offline line first thing Monday AM (after the office has been closed all weekend).

When the MX922 goes into a coma the only way I've found to wake it up is to either power-cycle it, or do go into the Device Settings menu and print out the current Network Configuration Page (it sometimes starts printing/scanning again when I exit out of the menus). AND sometimes after waking it up via the menu trick it operates very very slowly (like the Wifi connection is poor or congested) and I end up having to power cycle it to fix it. I shouldn't ever have to power cycle the printer just to wake it up (especially since it probably uses up some ink to recharge the print head each time it powers on).

Since I got it about 6 weeks ago, this printer has gone into a coma about once a week. Recently I tried disabling the Wireless DRX option and that seems to have made it worse. Since I disabled that option, It's gone into a coma 3 times in the past two days.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dgkerr53
Apprentice

First thing I did when I bought this printer is assigned a static IP to it.  I always have to turn the printer off and then on again after I send a job to it if it's been idle more that a couple of days.  I'm looking forward to dumping this sorry printer in the near future.  

View solution in original post

110 REPLIES 110

I alway have and always will use static addressing on my home networks, for security reasons.

I had the same configuration for months before disabling DRX. Only after disabling them did the sleep issue stop.

I included the entire configuration because software setting can interact. I know that this configuration works.  

One thing I failed to mention before was that I set the printer to use Googles DNS services.  I did this previously following a Youtube suggestion.  This avoids problems with the ISPs secondary DNS servers that can become poisoned or contain incorrect information. Google has an extensive systemi placeto keep its DNS tables accurate, current and secure., plus it always knows where its own servers are.

The combination may be the cure.

Menu,web service setup,ok,Dns Server setup,ok,Manual setup,ok,008.008.008.008,ok,yes,008.008.004.004,ok.

kensekar
Apprentice
I've read the problems wireless printer setup  see open  and my problem finish
kensekar

@kensekar wrote:
I've read the problems wireless printer setup  see open  and my problem finish

what?

korth999
Apprentice

Just like all the others who have posted here, I am also having that problem.

All-mac environment;  latest upgrade on all devices.

Canon MX922

I want to emphasize one aspect of the issue that hasn't had a lot of coverage:  this problem occured GRADUALLY.    It started maybe 3-4 months ago, maybe once every 1-2 days or so.   It was most likely to occur in the later evening/early morning ... especially after streaming videos (strange, huh?).  I'm not a network techie, but it seems like some buffer or counter exceeded some sort of limit or there's a memory overflow or something.   Either that, or the gradual nature of the decline in the ability to connect could be related to iMac software updates.    Please don't quote/berate me on my non-technical comments, I'm just explaining the circumstances around the issue occurring.

NOW, for the last couple of days, I literallly have to shut down and restart the printer for EACH and EVERY print request.   

ISPs routinely upgrade router software and do remote resets that can screw up local DHCP reservations. Power glitches can make devices that use DHCP become lost on a network. Fixed ip addresses and DNS assignments are less likely to be lost or damaged.

dgkerr53
Apprentice

I disabled DRX and hard coded the IP address on the printer.  I also reserved that IP address (using the hardware address of the printer) in my router's DHCP configuration for good measure.  My printer now responds when I send it a print job without having to restart the printer.  This is reasonable for an enterprise network printer, though I've never had to do this at home before.  Putting this in your installation documentation, at least as a strong suggestion, would help others struggling with a new Canon printer.

spirestocks
Enthusiast
Amen! I had talked directly with Canon on this issue; yet, the issue of liability came up with guiding users through each of the routers and how their responsibility could not involve "altering" the routers. However, as you have ascertained, the "permanent" fix involves the static IP in DHCP and matching that address on printer configuration for both the wired and wireless with correlation to MAC address

Islandmon
Apprentice

I'm the latest to join the conversation on the Canon MX922 issues. For several months I was happy with my new printer and even stocked up on ink. I spent hours today reading through this forum and I keep shaking my head that this problem has been discussed for years! and Canon has yet to give a diffinitive solution.

I was glad to see that there have been some MAC solutions but those of us out here with Windows 10 are still looking. I tried the many suggestions, and have removed and reinstalled software several times, but still no lasting solution.

I too will be looking for another printer (not a Canon) because I really didn't want to settle for the USB cable method and hope to find a workable wireless printer.

Canon, you sure don't know how to support your customers or how to keep them happy!

spirestocks
Enthusiast
There is an answer look at Mar 13th post

ckd777
Apprentice

SIMPLE SOLUTION:

I have a Canon MX 459 HARDWIRED to my PC WIN 10 and this solved the problem:

Push the OK button on the printer Twice ( You'll hear the printer beep ) BEFORE you send a document to the printer.  ( Also make sure you don't have anytning waiting to print in the printing Que ) This wakes the printer up and it works every time for me.

I tried this fix on my daughter's MX479 hooked up to a MAC that is on Wi-FI but it didn't work.  When I hard wired it to her MAC it does.

Hope it works for your model too!

I'm AMAZED that Canon can't come up with a simple "Wake Up and Reconnect" Option for WI-FI.

Announcements