cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX472 no longer has IP settings?

Magnus005
Apprentice

When I first got the MX472, I was able to assign it an IP number. Then some years later, the only way it lets me connect to the wireless home network is via the WPS button, which I can manage by triggering it on the router side via the web gui and once it starts pinging, the printer very quickly finds it and says CONNECTED [OK].

Now my wireless computer doesn't see it even after uninstalling all the drivers, reinstalling the set up file I downloaded (the original disk is ruined). The only way my Windows 10 home sees it is when I add printer, THEN click on "The printer I want is not listed" -->Add a local or network printer with manual settings 

At this point, if I try "Create a new port" and try the default setting of Canon BJNP Port, I get 'Canon BJNP Port' cannot be added from the printer properties. If you use the printer on the network and have trouble with printing, install the printer driver again. Rinse, wash, repeat as the setup program is VERY limited and I cannot access the TCP/IP settings on the printer for some odd reason.

If I "Use an existing port" and select the non-fax Canon BJNP Port, then  select Canon, Canon MX470 series Printer, NEXT, it seems to install, but fails when I tell it to do a test page, citing printer error. What the hell do I do now?!

4 REPLIES 4

Magnus005
Apprentice

Either something failed on the printer or there was a firmware fix that has ruined it.
Watching a video on how to set up the Canon 400 series, I watched as the printer's LCD window spat out local SSIDs. I have TWO routers in the same room as the printer now, one 10' and the other 15' away and its not seeing any of those or the surrounding15 SSIDs in my apartment complex which my desktop has no trouble listing. I recall that as well and also have no access to it. It IMMEDIATELY jumps to WPS mode. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. No matter where you try to access wireless settings.

Hi Magnus005! 

Thanks for joining and posting in the Canon Forums! 

The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback.

If you are in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team. 

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

We hope this helps! 

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Try uninstallingthe MX470 drivers and Canon IJ Network Tool.  Then visit www.usa.canon.com to download and install the latest MP Drivers for the printer.  This should allow you to resume printing from the PC.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have managed to reinstall my printer wirelessly ONLY because I had other issues and had to perform a clean install of Windows 10 and I have even managed to wirelessly print a full color PDF image.

However, you have not addressed the other issue regarding the printer itself:

Why can I no longer search for SSIDs or input SSIDs on the device anymore?

Why can I no longer search for IPs or input IPs on the device anymore?

The only option I get on the printer's built in LED display (just words, no images style display, looks like a calculator screen) is to use the WPS feature and that is all.

The only instance that it now allows me to input IPs is to give it  it's own when I use a particular setting that has little to do with an initial setup.

Did something change in the firmware or is there an actual problem with my printer?

Announcements