cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7720 won't connect with wireless security enabled

tcmclemo
Apprentice

I recently purchased an MG7720, but have been unable to get it to connect to my wireless network when security is enabled on the router.  It does connect when when security is disabled.  I've tried the following:

- Changed security to WPA/PSK and attempted to configure from printer and from Mac via USB

- Changed security to WEP 128 bit encryption and attempted to configure from printer and from Mac via USB

Changed security to WEP 64 bit encryption and attempted to configure from printer and from Mac via USB

Changed security to WPA2/PSK and attempted to configure from printer and from Mac via USB

When trying to configure from the printer, I get a "Failed to connect to the wireless router" error.  

When configuring from my laptop via USB, I get the following error:

"The printer could not be connected to the specified wireless router.

The network password you entered is incorrect or does not correspond to the selected wireless router.
Enter the correct network password, or select the corresponding wireless router."

I changed the password before each of these attempts, and verified that I had the correct password by connecting to the WLAN with two other devices.

I've reset the router and the printer with no luck.  Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Well, what security setting on your router allowed the printer to connect? This will point to what is causing failure.

Is your router using a list of MAC addresses that are allowed to connect?  You would need to add the printer to the list.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Firebird
Apprentice

I had trouble setting my 7720 up to use secure connections when I first got it. WPA2-PSK is a real pain on this machine. My former Canon printer had no issues at all.  This one randomly loses its ability to connect and will not connect even after multiple times entering the key.  The Network config printout shows encryption = none, signal strength zero, even though my iMac right next to it has fantastic signal and same wireless connection to the same router!

Persoanlly I think there is a software/firmware fault that loses the password and gets stuck in a fault loop. It's the buggiest wifi device I have ever owned. I've just spent an hour trying to connect it to no avail.  I'm going to have to hard wire it to the router to print. Wifi is one of the most important features of modern printers and Canon has screwed it up royal on this model.

delete

Printrix
Apprentice

After I installed a new modem, my Canon MG7720 would no longer connect to Wi-Fi. 

SOLUTION:  I edited the LAN setting on my printer and entered the new wi-fi password. Now the printer works again!

Announcements