cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5520 Showing Weak WiFi Signal Strength

zachnorris
Apprentice

I have a Canon MG5520 and it has worked well for over a year. Now I can only get it to connect to our router if it's sitting right next to said router. Strangely, even when it is 2 feet from the router, it is only showing a signal strength from 12% to 20%. Sometimes it won't stay connected even when that close. Previously, we had it on a separate floor on the opposite side of the house and had no problems.

I changed our router to transmit on a different channel with no success, and the WiFi signal shows 100% on my laptop, which is sitting next to the printer. Any ideas as to what it causing the problem?

3 REPLIES 3

Ramona
Authority

Hi zachnorris,

You can try disabling the Wireless LAN DRX and IPv6 settings on the printer to see if this will help.  To do this, please follow these steps:

Disabling the Wireless LAN DRX setting

1. Press the MENU button. If your printer does not have a MENU button, please proceed to step 2.

2. Select SETUP, then press the OK button.

3. Select DEVICE SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

4. Use the arrow buttons to select LAN SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

5. Use the arrow buttons to select OTHER SETTINGS, then press the OK button

6. Use the arrow buttons to select WIRELESS LAN DRX SETTING, then press the OK button.

7. Use the arrow buttons to select DISABLE, then press the OK This will return you to Other Settings menu.

Disabling the IPv6 Setting

1. Press the MENU button. If your printer does not have a MENU button, please proceed to step 2.

2. Select SETUP, then press the OK button.

3. Select DEVICE SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

4. Use the arrow buttons to select LAN SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

5. Use the arrow buttons to select OTHER SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

6. Use the arrow buttons to select TCP/IP SETTINGS, then press the OK button.

7. Use the arrow buttons to select IPv6, then press the OK button.

8. Use the arrow buttons to select YES at confirmation screen [LAN communication may be disabled depending on your environment. Set this setting?] then press the OK button.

9. Use the arrow buttons to select ENABLE/DISABLE IPv6, then press the OK button.

10. Use the arrow buttons to select DISABLE, then press the OK button. This will return you to IPv6 settings menu where you can press MENU to exit to the main menu.

Should you still experience difficulty after disabling the above settings, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here for further assistance. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It actually ended up being a problem with the router. It took a few calls to our provider to convince them to come and replace it. Our printer works great now!

Thanks for the followup, zachnorris! We're happy things are working the way they should!

Announcements