Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

MG5400 - Another computer is using the printer - only WS-printer available

Hello there,

Whenever I try to print I get the message "Another computer is using the printer". I've been searching for answers on the existing topics and generally there are two answers

1) reinstall the drivers: I can't find the drivers for the MG5400 on this site. In any case: My pc says the printer has the latest drivers. So on to option 2

2) What seems to be resolving the issue is that there are supposed to be 2 printer in "printers and scanners": 

One called "Canon MG5400 Series Printer WS" and another one (for ex.: "Canon MG5400 Series_94F796"). Everything should be working if you would delete the WS printer and set the other one as default. 

The only problem is: I only see the WS-printer in "Printers and Scanners", not the non-WS one, so I can't set it as default. Deleting the WS-printer and searching for printers again only gives me the WS-printer again.

I know that if I can do this, this solution should work because :docs that I open in Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer) print automatically with the non-WS printer and this works fine.

When I try to print something from Google chrome: I see the Non-WS printer but it is grayed out. So I have to choose the WS-printer and then I get the error "another computer is using..."

Al other software only show the WS printer. SoI cant print from those programs either.

So I am not able to set the non-WS printer as default, even though this will resolve my problem.

Any thoughts?

Thank you