cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG3100 wifi printer offline

kabtq9s
Apprentice

My laptop keeps teling me that my MG3100 wifi printer is offline but its not. I have to restart laptop everytime I want to print something if I haven't printed something in the past two days or so.

11 REPLIES 11

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello kabtq9s.

This issue may be related to a timeout between the router and the printer.  When this error occurs, we would have to advise that you power the printer off and back on or restart your computer in order to refresh the connection.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is exactly the problem I have had...everything seems to work well until there is a day or so I don't use the printer. Then I get the message that it is offline. I have the exact same printer at work and even over a weekend when I come back into the office I never have to turn it off and back on. This is an annoying problem. I did a firmware update, and still have the problem. The same MacBook computer was used to set both printers up. Please advise

Hello.

Additional troubleshooting will have to be done to narrow down the cause of your issue.  Please contact our support group using the link below for additional assistance.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have just had new broadband put in and my printer wont connect to my new wifi please can you explain to me why this is i have followed the manual and been holding the wifi connection button on both my rputer and printer but having no luck the printer wont connect to my mobile app either and was working perfectly fine before i upgraded my sky wifi.

me too.... am in the samne boat Jeanne , or apparently sinking ship. let me know it you find anything. Very frustrating

I recall seeing a post which said something about unplugging both USB and power cords then leaving the printer off for so many minutes before plugging both back in.

I can't remember which I plug back in first.  Would you please advise me because the method certainly worked for me.

Thank you.

Makeys4Forum.

Davebste
Apprentice

When it says the printer is offline make sure you can still browse the internet or some other task that requires connectivity.  My laptop a month ago had a trojan and he was using the power settings to disable my wifi after he would change my settings and i would have to reboot to get it back online.  A simpler excuse on a laptop is the switch is inadvertantly being moved.

Just a thought.  When i have connectivity I first make sure i can connect to anything else.

Davebste
Apprentice

anytime you restore your computer from the disk it came from or any other OS disk make sure you have all updates after SP2 and update all Apple software and do not let the computer open the application till it has all its updates.  The trojan got in just after i had formatted my drive.  I had only installed my full subscription MacAfee, IE, Safari and iTunes.  By changing my SMTP settings i was able to get a trail.  When my email settings were correct he could send an email and remove traces of sending it but after i changed the SMTP his trojan didnt delete the errors left behind and i was thus able to track his method of entrance to a hole in iTunes.

Another_Victim
Contributor

On 2014-10-06 I posted the details of the solution that worked for me at a similar Canon forum:

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/Mx920-Wireless-printing-problem/m-p/118...

It continues to work for me.  The wireless printer connection hasn't failed since then.

It's a permanent solution that you only need to do once. (It isn't a workaround that wakes the printer temporarily after its connection fails.)

The solution involves using your computer's web browser software to access the printer's built-in web server (by entering the printer's IPv4 address into the web browser's address field), going to the printer's Settings webpage, and entering a value in the Location property. (Which was blank by default.)

If you try it, please post (preferably in that other Canon forum) a few days afterward, to report whether it solved the problem.

Good luck!

Announcements