cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LBP6030W won't connect via Wireless after power outage

JohnR
Contributor

I have a GREAT little LBP6030W printer running wirelessly.  It performs flawlessly for months on end.  No issues with sleep, great printing.

However if we lose power due to an outage, the wireless will not fully connect afterwards.  I’ve tried shutting the printer off for an hour, restarting and a number of button combinations.

Oddly when I try to attache via the UI, I can but the connection is hit and miss and very slow.  I would usually have to wait a few minutes to the printer menu to come up in Chrome.  Then I may or may not be able to get to a sub menu.  The printer however will not print.

If I print the “User  Data List” using the continue / paper out button the Wireless LAS status is “Disconnected”

My System:

• Windows 10 pro / 64 v1709
  • Archer C9 router

My solution is to cart the printer upstairs, connect the USB and re-do the wireless connection.

Doing an internet shearch I see a lot of this complaint,   Does anyone know a solution that can be implemented using the buttons on the printer (there are onlhy3 and no screen).

Thanks

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With the help from Stackexchange I found the solution, but I'm still now sure why.

In setting up my printer and router,  I had assigned as static IP for the printer.  It seems when the printer is disconnected abruptly some bit that had been negotiated between the printer and router was lost.  But becasue I had manually entered the IP into the printer is seemed to still "know" the IP address but could not really connect to the router.

Solution:

Change the IP assignment to DHCP and remove the IP reservation in the router.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings John,

Given that the printer doesn't have much in the way of displaying its configuration or staus, I would assign a static IP to the printer using MAC address reservation.  Note: On your router this feature is called IP & MAC Binding  

This will allow the router to assign the same IP to the printer whether it loses power, is switched off, or is not used for an extended period of time.

Rewiew these instructions

Things you'll want to note:

-SSID name of your 2.4Ghz network

-Wireless password for your network

Both of these (information) can be found in your routers configuration Advanced tab > Wireless 2.4Ghz > Wireless Settings shows (SSID Name) and then same path above Wireless Security section shows the (wireless password)

Archer C9 Emulator

The above is a great place to become more familiar with your routers settings (Admin Console).  You can use this as a reference before making changes to you router's actual configuration. All of the settings you need can be found on the Advanced Tab.  This is an emulator, not your actual router so feel free to click and look around. 

You will need to use a USB cable for set up.  Here's why.  It will give you granular control of the configuration and set up process.  Once done, and you have the printer manually configured in conjunction with the router, you won't have to mess with the settings again, because they will not change.  Read through the entire instructions regarding manual set up I referenced above. 

Do not use the WPS set up, use the "Custom Set Up" manual configuration "Enter your SSID and security key" option.  Once connected, log into your router and view attached devices.  Advanced tab > DHCP > DHCP Client List.  You will now know what IP the printer has been given and its MAC address. The router's IP on your LAN is 192.168.0.1.  It hands out IP's from a pool of addresses 192.168.0.100~192.168.0.199

Choose an available IP somewhere in the range of addresses that is meaningful to you.  Say 192.168.0.150  Easy to remember.  Now navigate to the IP & MAC Binding section (Advanced tab).  Enter the 192.168.0.150 IP and bind it to the printer's MAC address.  Make sure you save it.  The router will restart.  Once it's back up, turn the printer off.  Wait 5 sec and turn it back on.  When it reconnects to the wireless network, the router will recognize it's MAC address and assign it with the 192.168.0.150 IP address.  The printer now has a static IP.

When all of this is done, you will have taken your first step to controlling a device connecting to your wireless network.  Your router will always give the printer the same IP address and only the printer because it's IP is bound by it's unique MAC address.

One other suggestion.  ~Router~ (Unrelated) The DHCP lease time is set for 120 minutes by default.  Setting allows 120~2880 minutes (2hrs - 2 days).  If you are using this router at home, I'd set to the max 2880, or at least 1440 which will give leases for 24hrs.

Hope this helps.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

HI Rick,

Thank you for your clear and complete response.    I always use a reserved (static) IP for all but cell phones.

Its curious, the printer seems to loose some portion of the connection information when power is removed via the plug (or my local power company and in yesterday's storm).

1. My router does not show the printer connected.
  2. The User Data List f rom the printer shows the IP, Subnet mask, Gateway address, Mac address SSID and security type correctly.  The Wireless LAN Status is "Normal"  The Wireless LED (blue) is illuminated.

All this but no connection.   It could have lost the Wireless password but I would assume there would be a message indicating so.

Today I pulled the plug while the printer was asleep,  This created the same problem.

I refuse to install a UPS for the printer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John

With the help from Stackexchange I found the solution, but I'm still now sure why.

In setting up my printer and router,  I had assigned as static IP for the printer.  It seems when the printer is disconnected abruptly some bit that had been negotiated between the printer and router was lost.  But becasue I had manually entered the IP into the printer is seemed to still "know" the IP address but could not really connect to the router.

Solution:

Change the IP assignment to DHCP and remove the IP reservation in the router.

That is correct.  My steps above reserved an IP for the printer on the router via it's MAC address.  The printer itself does not need to be assigned an IP, since the router is responsible for assiging the address. 

Glad you got it fixed. 

I would be curious to know what happens if you turn the printer off or don't use it during the DHCP lease time.  When it expires and the router has not heard from or communicated with the printer, it will reclaim the IP adress it assigned to the printer and put it back into the pool of available addresses  The router will then hand that IP out to the next device that requests an address, leaving the printer associated to an IP that has been given to another device on the network. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Printer reconnects after DHCP lease is lapsed.

Test:

Router has default DHCP lease time of 120 minutes (did not change)

Printer was on (but likely in sleep mode)

Pulled A/C plug

Waited 3 hours

Reconnected A/C plug

Turned printer on (on the loss of power printer stays off until user turns on power)

Printed with no issues.

John

James_C

Hi JohnR 

If you power cycle the router does the issue continue?  "Unplug the power cord to your router and wait a few minutes and plug it back in".  Are you able to print at this point?

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Jim,

Yes and Yes.

However, 

See post #4 for the solution to my problem.

Regards

John

Perhaps I should open a new case, but my circumstances are very similar.  LBP6030W has worked great for 3 years using wifi connection; but now both my iMac and Macbook report "printer not connected".  The wrinkle is that I can still connect via a browser.  Thx for any insights.

I can't help with the Mac (of course I struggled with Win).

Because it affected both computers, and I assume the same driver was on both I would:

1) look at the ports you are using.  On Windows Cannon driver setup multiple ports, I cannot suggest why but maybe the port was changed.  (I know on both...?)

2) I've not been in the Cannon printer menu in a long time.  I think there is some sort of factory reset.  If there it might help.

3)  I had to setup the printer via USB to first get it to work with the WiFi.  Perhaps redoing that would help.

If you have no luck I would call Cannon support, they are extremely helpful.  This forum is hit and miss at best.

I would als start a new topic if you don't get it sorted out right away.  If only to report how you finally solved your issue.

Good luck

John

Announcements