cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma 922 constantly losing network connection

conticreative
Contributor

I own a Canon Pixma 922 and from the very start I have been having issues with the netrworking staying connected.

My network is a simple 3 computer connected to a D-link 655 router with WPS abilities.

before this printer I had a very similar, older model. I set that up once, after purchase and until it finally gave up the ghost it remained connected solidly to all the computers in the house, including laptops that connected once a month if that. Power went out several times and it remained reliably connected.

The new Pixma 922 instead disconnects from the network several times a day. The record so far has been 3 whole days without the need to reset it. Otherwise the moment we try to print and the print job is not running, we just go to the rpouter, press the WAP button and quickly reset the network. After that it will work reliably for a few hours until the next time (usually later in the day).

I don;t need to point out how disappointed I am. For me it's rather easy to reset, but my wife is constantly aggraved by it (as if I designed it) and my daughter always forget how to do it and has to wait for me.

I have been unable to find similar posts to this one, so I assume it's not an endemic problem. But is there a way to fix it or at least troubleshoot it?

14 REPLIES 14

I just realized that I never wrote down the process to bypass the stupid WAP button that always drops the communication between printer and router every day.

The way to do it is as follows:

1. on the 922 pixma4click on the menu button to the left of the screen and select "Wlan Setup"
  2. Press OK
  3. the screen will show "Access point detrected. Ignore that and wait until it says something like: Other setup Option. The icon next to thatis the same as the "stop Button". Click the stop button to the rightYou will see 3 choices: 
  • standard setup
  • WPS
  • Other setup
  1. Click on "standard" (the first one)
  2. Find your network on the list Click OK
  3. Once there is a simple matter of entering your network password and pressing all the prompts until it tells you it's connected.

Instead of using the silly WAP connection which works only for a few hours, this connection is the old fashooned one where you have to enter your network password and the last time I did it worked for months without disconnecting. Until I turned off the printer and by then I ahd forgotten how to do it so I found my post again and retraced my steps.

I hope this helps.

Your suggestion is helpful, Conticreative, but for me the problem is that after I do these exact steps the printer still seems to loose the network password. If my computer goes to sleep I have to re-enter the password into the printer EVERY TIME. It's frustrating. Is there any way to make the printer hold onto that info more permanently?

Thanks,

L

Sorry, I wish I ahd a solution for that. My printer is connected to various desktops and laptops that go on and off line all the time, yet I have never experienced that issue with any of them.

The only way the printer forgets the password for the network is when I turn off the printer itself.

When I first bought the printer, I upgraded from another Canon with similar features. Except my older Canon did not have the WAP connection, so I had to enter the password manually like I do with all the various network devices in my home.

I did it once and until the printer itself broke, I never had to do anything with it.

So I buy the new printer and for the first 3 months I go nuts with this WAP thing. Every day either my wife or my daughter would try to print and we would have to press the WAP blue button, coinnect and so on. Needless to say each time I heard one of my ladies  yell "F**&%^ng printer" by blood run cold in my veins. 

Then I discovered that the WAP system was an additional protocol to make things easier  (right!) and I discovered the system I outlined in my previous post.

Until the cleaning lady unhooked the printer and it forgot the password.  Sadly, by then I had forgot the procedure as well. Even though I am a programmer and I do support for what seems half the planet, my brain cells can only hold so much information so of the past 3 months or so I have been trying to remember how to set the printer again so as to bypass the stupid WAP syste,.

Now I put the whole thing in Evernote and hopefully I won't need to research it again.

However, the moral for you is to make sure it's not the printer going to sleep or getting turned off. I have 6 laptops and 2 desktops connected to my printer through the router and AFAIK it's the printer that keeps the password in memory, not the compiuter. Else I'd have to rest all my rigs every time.

I'd start by checking you are setup properly in the printer and then turn off your computer and turn it back on. See if it works. Sleep state is sometime a bit weird on some computers (I don't use it myself. With a Digital C drive my computer restarts faster than if it was asleep).

Change a paramether each time until you can reproduce the issue. If sleep is what's braking the connection, don't put your computer to sleep. Buy an SSD and your computer will start faster than a bat out of hell anyway.

Yeah, you're right it's the printer that's losing the passcode. The settings on my laptop contain the code, but if the printer goes to sleep and loses the code then it can't communicate with the laptop to find the code. For whatever reason the printer just doesn't want to hang on to that code. 

I'm sure there's some setup parameter that I'm skipping or something though. It can't be that it's designed this way. Thanks for your help. Oh and yes, a SSD is very high on my list of things to get 🙂

L

Mikec4
Contributor

I am tired of Canon blaming the ISP or the router.  Everyone on this thread is using a different ISP/router - only common thread is the printer.  Turning the printer on/off doesn't work, changing DRX settings doesn't work, resettign the router of course doesn't work, turning off firewall to see if that is the issue (as instructed by Canon customer care phone rep) doesn't work..  The only thing that works is uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers.  What a pain.  I wish I could return the printer and be done with Canon.  Hey Canon - want to offer a solution that works or allow me to send it back to you and you replace it with one that actually stays connected and works?  At this point, I wouldn't recommend this printer or Canon to anyone. I'll gladly retract this if Canon steps up in a timely manner and comes up with a permanent solution.

Announcements