cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX920 Printer not responding

jl487printer
Apprentice

The printer was installed and I printed fine the first day.  A few days later, the printer in not responding.
I tried reinstalling the driver; the printer is connected to my network.  Any support on this would be helpful. 

59 REPLIES 59

I'm having the same problem with my PC Windows 7. I'm also connected by WIFI. I've checked that connnection and it's fine. I can also copy, so the printer is working. But any time I go to pritn, I get "printer not responding." Thanks 

Same issues as the Professor and some other strangeness.

I am on Windows 7, have a Linksys WRT1900 wireless router with standard configurations.

Issues:

Printer drops off the network consistently. I have had it working a few times but most of the time it required a reboot.

However today I cannot get it to print at all. Even when it is "on the network", according to the Linksys Network Map, my PCs cannot connect to it. I just get the "Printer not responding" error on the PC that it used to work on...some of the time. Plus I have a brand new Lenovo laptop (Windows 7 also) connected to the wireless network and it cannot connect to the printer at all. I saw it in My Computer's Network list for about a minute but it the Win7 didn't recognize it as a printer. It was unknown.

When I try the "Add Printer" wizard it says it cannot find anything. It then gives me the option to enter it via IP address. When I use this method it says it cannot communicate with the device and asks what priner type it is. I pick the closest option on the list, "Canon Network Printer", and it tries again to no avail.

Funny thing is I can use the command prompt and ping the printers IP address just fine so I know its on the network. Plus it shows up on the network map...at least for about 10 minutes, after which time it leaves the network.

Why it leaves the network is unclear. At first it seemed to coincide with the printers "sleep" mode but not always as it worked for a few days one time. Today after my wife made a FAX, it now jumps to FAX mode instead of sleep, at which point it leaves the network.

I have tried the following:

1. Set the Printer Spooler Service to Automatic (actually it was already set to that).
2. Successfully updated the printers firmware to 3.0 something.
3. Power cycling in different orders.
4. Connecting to the network using the wifi password as well as automatically using WPS. They both work fine for connecting to the wireless network, at least according to the printer and the router. The PCs cannot communicate with it however.
5. Troubleshooting wizards (Network and Printer)

Thank you for any assistance.

Spoke with Canon. Problem seems to be solved.

Go to Device Settings

Lan Settings

Other Settings

Wireless Lan

DRX Setting

Set that one to disable.

Seems to work for me.

Cheers.

Appreciate the reply but making that setting adjustment didn't seem to change anything for me. Made the adjustment, power cycled, confirmed change was saved and then watched it drop off the network map 10 minuts later.

Very frustrating. I used to associate Canon with quality but seems like they are producing crap now, like so many others.

OPS is Windows 10, is connected by wireless

My Canon printer is connected via WiFi to my Mac and I cannot get it to print. The Mac keeps looking for the printer.

@Randazzo wrote:

My Canon printer is connected via WiFi to my Mac and I cannot get it to print. The Mac keeps looking for the printer.

Some of the information at the below link may be helpful:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6686095?start=0&tstart=0

Suddenly my printer is not responding.  I am using a windows computer and the connection is wireless and the printer shows that the wireless in on.

@Danny wrote:

Hi, jl487printer!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer, along with how your computer and your printer are connected to each other. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

Thanks and have a great day!

@tigerlil5117  It might be helpful to know which version of Windows you are using. 

keithk
Apprentice

I have had my printer over a year without any printing issues, until today.  I literally printed a document this morning (printed correctly,) and when printing an edited copy this afternoon, the document had multiple lines of print that looked as if someone erased the middle third of the line of text?!  There does not seem to be a pattern of this fault (eg., not every third line.)  I use the printer directly connected to my computer (HP Pavilion dv7-4183cl,) and use Microsoft Office 2010.  I tried printing other documents and spreadsheets that I know print correctly, including the edited document (tested at a Kinko's,) and have the same erased issues.  Performed a nozzle check (all was well) and auto aligned printer head - still have the problem.  Finally, if I use the printer as a copier, the copies print out correctly?  This has me stumped -  any help is appreciated and sorely needed.

Hi keithk,

You can try cleaning the timing encoder film of the printer to see if this will resolve the alignment issue you are experiencing. To do this, please follow the steps located here.  If you still experience the same issue, since print head cleanings and alignments did not work, the printer may require servicing; please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements