cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG6450 Another computer is using the printer

Yatesy1990
Apprentice

Up to now we've printed ok but yesterday our Windows 8 laptops report that "Another computer is using the prnter". We have a Canon MG6450 printer; ona  wireless network. We have rebooted our laptops; the router; and switched off printer but to no avail. Any other suggestions ?

Another computer is using the printer.
The following status is the usage status of that computer.
---
Creating print data

A follow up query is why is there a need to register is the need to send email docs to [Email address removed in accordance with forum guidelines] to get printed ? It is both time consuming, over elaborate and completely unnecessary to use a "Print from E-mail" service and " to complete the printer owner registration".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DaBoss
Apprentice

I solved my problem on the MG5520 using Windows 8.1 stuck with the "used by another computer" error!

I noticed in my settings (computer settings - devices - printers)  that there are two Canon printers listed - make sure you DO NOT select the printer that ends in "WS" when trying to print a document. EX:  "Canon MG5500 series printer" vs "Canon MG5500 series printer WS".

If you have any print jobs pending in that queue for that printer ending with "WS", then you will need to cancel all pending print jobs under the "WS" labeled printer before it will allow any other print job to be performed.

Next, when you go to print a document, make sure you select the correct printer (without "WS" at the end).

This cleared up the "being used by another computer" error, and I didn't have to uninstall or reinstall any drivers or disable any wireless settings or use a USB cable!

I was so happy that I even took the stupid half hour to register an account with Canon so I could share my solution to this annoying problem. And now I know that I should inform my wife to not print anything on the wrong printer queue anymore!

I hope this saves someone from the frustration I felt.

Here is a more discriptive walkthrough for technologically challenged individuals:

*This first part s not actually necessary - it is just to show you that there are two DIFFERENT print queues

Step 1:

Get into your PC settings menu. If you don't know how to get there, then go to your Apps screen and use the Search feature by typing in "settings". The first thing to pop up should be PC Settings (click on that).

Next, you have to select "PC and Devices" to the left of the screen

Then you want to select "Devices" to the let of the screen

There you will see a list of devices installed on your computer, and you should see two Canon printers (one ending in WS). EX:  "Canon MG5500 series printer" vs "Canon MG5500 series printer WS"

Step 2:

Log into each user profile on your computer and check the print queues to see who is trying to print on the "WS" printer queue.

You can see the print queue  by clicking on the little triangle in the bottom right of your screen, then clicking on the little printer icon.

If there are pending print jobs, cancel ALL of them for each user account on your computer.

Step 3:

Once all print queues are clear, try printing a document and be sure to select the printer WITHOUT "WS" at the end of the name and it should work!

Good luck!

View solution in original post

83 REPLIES 83

This simple thing solved it, thanks!

engelbert
Apprentice
I had the same problem today. I went to the
Control Panel>> View devices and printers
then I right clicked on the Canon printer and removed it. Then I went to" Add a printer". Searched for the printer again and added it back.
All good now. Hope this helps

zunichi
Contributor
I did that before but after you restart the computer, the same problem goes back. If that happened to you too, I'd suggest doing the method by "DaBoss" which is also in this thread.

When I tried the answer from "DABoss" I had to cnnect to the usb cable.  Once that was connected i could print off of my desktop. But if the usb is not connected it will not print.  So I tried deleting and adding it back which did not work. I still need to connect with the usb. I also have a windows 7 laptop  that is getting the message "another computeris using the printer" -- i didn't delete anything on it so I still get that message. Any other ideas?

Hi, susie-q!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

I have the MG5420.  I believe I fixed it now.  I reset the WLAN as if it was a new printer and i printed from my windows 7 laptop. I had to print 4 pages and they came, but ever so slowly.  i got a message that said Printer is not responding but I just waited and it finally finished the four pages.  I am hoping the problem is corrected now.  thank-you for your response.

Rowboat
Apprentice

I had the same problem MG3500 series.  I have windows 7.   I deleted all cannon printers.   Then clicked on add printer.  My computer found my printer and then installed it.  I can now print.  I think that Canon has a software issue.  I also have a MG45oo series .   I cannot set either printer to default.   However, it does print!  I use these printers in different locations and only have one printer installed at each location.

Canon MG5400 series. In having the same problem with wifi, I found I could unplug usb from the directly connected pc and wifi would work immediatly. Plug in usb and wifi would work until usb pc sent a print, then wifi will work no more until unplugging usb again. Epson Workforce works fine with wired and wifi. I would say that makes it a Canon problem. I hope this post helps get it one step closer to solution!

I had this problem, too. Especially since I had lost my WiFi connection to the printer and used the disc to re-configure the connection. I followed DaBoss' advice above (to make sure to delete all print jobs and then do NOT print from the WS printer) and it worked like a charm.

PS My printer is the MG5600 and my OS is Windows 8.1.

Clear the print spooer to fix the problem:

Run command prompt as administrator.

Enter the following commands:

net stop spooler.

net start spooler

Exit

Announcements