cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Canon printers - both dropping LAN connect !!

garyprud
Apprentice

I have a PIXMA MX922 and a PIXMA MG3220 in opposite ends of my house, both will initially connect to my LAN and I can print wirelessly from time-to-time, but then they get "No printers found" when trying to use Air Print from my iPad or phone.  I have iTunes running in the background and occassionally that may drop if we have a power hit...but these 2 printers just seem to lose LAN connectivity on their own and way too often.

Any ideas to improve this nagging situation?

Thanks

Gary

3 REPLIES 3

jwilseyRCDB
Contributor
On my MX920, if I open the web page for the printer by putting the IP in my browser, I have an option to turn off Wireless/Wired DRX setting. The description for this is: When this setting is enabled, wireless LAN will be in sleep mode during intervals between signals from the access point, thus reducing power consumption. I had to click "Advanced", then "Other Settings" in the web page to see this setting. Clicking the ? in the upper right showed me the description.

I don't know if you can access this setting from the printer itself, but if DRX turns the network off to save power, it sounds like your device would have a hard time finding it.

Well Thank You - I agree with your presumption, and will look at this angle when I have some free time this weekend!  Yes, one printer is located within 6 feet of my router and the other is about 8 feet from an access point in another room farther away...that access point is connected via ethernet cable back to the router.  This gives me something to assess.

See my post on another thread.

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Pixma-MX920-on-a-different-subnet-not-detected-wi...

You need to assign static addresses to your printers for them to work reliably.  Edit: This has nothing to do with brand, in this case Canon.  It's the nature of network printers.  Dynamic IP is bad news for this kind of application.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements