Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

speedlite won't work with camera display on

I have a Canon 70D. Just bought a Pro Series Digital SLR universal flash.  Flash works great, only if the display on the back of the camera is turned off.  Turn on the display, and speedlite won't fire.  Is there a setting somewhere on the camera to correct this?  I'm pretty new at this. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: speedlite won't work with camera display on

Bluenoser wrote:

I have a Canon 70D. Just bought a Pro Series Digital SLR universal flash.  Flash works great, only if the display on the back of the camera is turned off.  Turn on the display, and speedlite won't fire.  Is there a setting somewhere on the camera to correct this?  I'm pretty new at this. Thanks.

What do you mean by "turn on the display"?  Do you mean Live View?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

Yes. If live view is turned on, the speedlite won't work.

Respected Contributor

Does this flash support E-TTL?

Otherwise, did you set the camera to manual flash?

Respected Contributor

Bluenoser wrote:

Make sure the camera is in Liveview and not Video mode. Flashes only work for still photos not video.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello - I am having the same problem with my Canon T3i. Did you ever find an answer?