cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speedlite 580ex II flashes at full power

vencislav95
Contributor

HI, everyone 🙂
I have a canon speedlite 580ex II. But suddenly when I had made photos it started to flashes at full power.  Cat Sad Help me. What could be the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you use pocket wizzard or other radio trigger by any chance?

I found this document "http://lpadesign.com/580EXII.pdf" I don't know if it could be your problem or not. But here is the excerpt:

"The symptom of the failure is that the 580EX II will no longer output controlled amounts of light. It will
only output full power dumps. This full power dump will happen even on a pre‐flash, therefore leaving
no stored energy within the capacitor left for a main flash exposure.
The testing quickly revealed that an IGBT (transistor) within the flash is damaged. This part is made by
Renesas (part # RJP4301).
The IGBT is used to turn off the flow of current through the flash tube when the desired amount of light
has been reached. This IGBT is also used to control (modulate) the brightness of the light when in HSS
(High Speed Sync) with the help of a fiber optic cable feeding a light sensor within the main body."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

vencislav95
Contributor

Hi 🙂
Thank you @hsbn. I have changed part #RJP4301 as you said and now the flash works correcly. Thank you so much 🙂 Cat Wink Smiley Happy

That's interesting.  Glad you got it fixed.  Nice find HSBN.

Hi Could you please direct me as where and how I can fix this capacitor in 580 exii  ? thanks already

We just wanted to let you know that we don't recommend do-it-yourself repairs. So, if you’re experiencing a problem with your Speedlite 580 EXII, it’s best to let a professional Canon Factory Service Center Technician do the work to keep you and your gear safe.

I think someone has to be kind here and draw a sketch showing how one can do the repair,its not fair I pay that much to canon when i bought this new only 15 month ago with little usage .

The cheapest repair is around £200 ,WTF

Hi ..... I have the very same problem as you... i have down loaded a manual, but it is way above my experience. could you tell me where and who did this for you ? ? or did you do it your self. really don't want to pay canon prices, well really cannot affford canon prices. Thanking you ion anticipation of your reply. Regards Karl

Hello there!
I bought  an IGBT (transistor)  (part # RJP4301) from ebay. After that I changed it. It`s cost me 5$.

PS: But after that i had to change and my bulb and some other elements.

Hi,Got my part a month ago but dont know where is it in the circuit ,could you direct me where and how to get there,would be a big help to many like me-thanks already

hi. i have the same problem. howe thit u change it? do you have pictures?

vencislav95
Contributor

HI 🙂
I have this problem again. My flash failed. I used yongnuo 622c. And after that, it suddenly started to flashes at full power. Can yongnuo 622c to cause this problems?

Announcements