cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I have a 430EX II connected to a 5D Mark III the menu button fires the flash

MLeitch
Apprentice

My Canon 5D Mark III works fine until I connect  my Speedlite 430EX II.  Here's the exact procedure for duplicating the issue:

Power on 5D MkIII

Power on 430EX II

Press Menu button - Flash fires and no menu comes up

Press Menu button again - Nothing happens

In fact no matter what button I press I can't get anything to come up on the back screen of the 5D.

More info:

Even when I power down the 430EX II the menu is still unavailable.

The only way to get the menu back is to power down the 5D MkIII and power back up again.  I can still leave the 430EX II connected just not powered up.

If I do power up the 430EX II it immediately fires the flash and the back screen turns off.

I had this issue using firmware 1.2.3 and having just today upgraded to 1.3.3 I am still having this issue.

Has anyone seen this issue before and are there any useful suggestions?

1 REPLY 1

MLeitch
Apprentice

I've now done some additional research on this.  The problem appears to be with the Canon 5D Mark III and not the Speedlite 430EX II.  

I attached my ST-E2 Transmitter and the 5D does the same thing with it attached.  Also I took both the 430EXII and the ST-E2 transmitter and tried the same thing on my other camera.  It works as expected with both.  

So it's clear that the issue lies with the 5D.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements