cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would be the best flash for a 6D?

karimkahatt
Apprentice

I wonder what is the more suitable flash for a 6D? I do indoors (interior design) and general photography

20 REPLIES 20

amfoto1
Authority

You can choose from any of the current Canon flashes. It just depends upon how much power you need.

Beginning with the most powerful, they are:

600EX-RT (which has radio triggering capability, for multiple flash, off-camera setups)

580EX II (recently discontinued, but still fairly available... uses optical communication with off-camera/multi flash setups)

430EX II

320EX (which has a video light, too)

270EX II

270EX (recently discontinued, but still pretty widely avail.)

90EX

If using multiple flashes, the 580EX II and 600EX-RT can act as "masters" to control off-camera "slaves". Both of those also can be used as "slaves". The 430EX II, 320EX, and 270EX II all can be used off-camera, too, but as "slaves" only. They cannot act as the "master" controlling other flashes.

There are also ST-E3-RT and ST-E2 flash controller modules, that can act as "masters" to control one or more off-camera flashes. The ST-E3-RT uses radio communication, while the ST-E2 uses optical (near IR light).

The difference between radio and optical communication is that radio can reach farther and is not line-of-sight dependent. Optical communication can be effected by ambient light conditions and is line-of-sight only, limiting placement of off-camera flashes to some extent.

There are also numerous third party flashes and accessories available, with a wide-ranging variety of capabilities.

The reason I'm mentioning all this about multiple flashes and off-camera usage is that interior lighting often involves many flashes and a lot of setup. A friend of mine is a nationally recognized expert at architectural photography...  He's got a van full of location lighting gear and often spends many hours setting up the lighting, just to make a couple interior shots.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

@amfoto1 wrote:

You can choose from any of the current Canon flashes. It just depends upon how much power you need.

Beginning with the most powerful, they are:

600EX-RT (which has radio triggering capability, for multiple flash, off-camera setups)

580EX II (recently discontinued, but still fairly available... uses optical communication with off-camera/multi flash setups)

430EX II

320EX (which has a video light, too)

270EX II

270EX (recently discontinued, but still pretty widely avail.)

90EX

If using multiple flashes, the 580EX II and 600EX-RT can act as "masters" to control off-camera "slaves". Both of those also can be used as "slaves". The 430EX II, 320EX, and 270EX II all can be used off-camera, too, but as "slaves" only. They cannot act as the "master" controlling other flashes.

There are also ST-E3-RT and ST-E2 flash controller modules, that can act as "masters" to control one or more off-camera flashes. The ST-E3-RT uses radio communication, while the ST-E2 uses optical (near IR light).

The difference between radio and optical communication is that radio can reach farther and is not line-of-sight dependent. Optical communication can be effected by ambient light conditions and is line-of-sight only, limiting placement of off-camera flashes to some extent.

There are also numerous third party flashes and accessories available, with a wide-ranging variety of capabilities.

The reason I'm mentioning all this about multiple flashes and off-camera usage is that interior lighting often involves many flashes and a lot of setup. A friend of mine is a nationally recognized expert at architectural photography...  He's got a van full of location lighting gear and often spends many hours setting up the lighting, just to make a couple interior shots.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to respond!  

I have been a little strapped for time but I have to say I really appreciate your views on this.

When I really sit and think about it, I know I am most likely going to bite the bullet an opt for the 600EX-RT. I just get the feeling that this is what is going to make my learning more enjoyable, less time consuming and more importantly, more reliable in the future when I may be doing things like weddings and other events where I can't afford to have things fail. I can see that I could probably afford a number of 3rd party speedlights for the same price but I think that investing in quality for the long term is the better option for me right now.

I'm probably looking to get one 600 EX-RT and the radio trigger to start with until I have a bigger budget to add more lights. I'm going to just have to be as creative as I can with just the one for now.

Sorry not to leave you all an individual response and again, I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my question.

Cheers Guys!

This really helped. Thanks!

To help you with any Canon Speedlite, go check YouTube for videos by Syl Arena or buy his book "The Speedliter's Handbook".  It will quickly help you understand how the system works and get the most from it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I second Syl Arena's handbook. Make sure to get the latest edition since it covers the 600 series. Also, any bit can help him as he recovers from his recent stroke.

I'm looking for an inexpensive flash for my 6D, just something maybe as powerful as a built-in as on the 80D etc.  I don't do a lot of indoor shooting, but would like something sufficient  to cover a small area when i do.  Does anyone have suggestions, or is this not feasible?

From what you say, a 90EX should work fine.

Thanks, i appreciate your help.

The Canon 90EX is no longer made. You might find one used.

Canon EL-100 is now their least powerful and least expensive flash.

If you want the most compact flash, the Canon 270EX II would be the best current choice. It's about an inch shorter than the EL-100 and slightly more powerful. (The EL-100 and 270EX II have guide numbers of 85 feet and 89 feet, respectively.)

Rounding out the current Canon Speedlite line-up are the larger and more powerful 430EX III RT, 470EX AI and the 600EX RT. (They have guide numbers of 141, 154, and 197 feet, respectively.)

There are a lot of third party flashes too. Most are larger models, similar to the 430/470 and 600-series. A few are compact models. If you look at third party, if you want easy to use look for ones that work with ETTL (dedicated for Canon). There are still inexpensive, non-dedicated, third party flash being made, but they aren't as easy or automated as ETTL dedicated.

The Canon brand flashes are hard to beat for quality and reliability, though.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Announcements