cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to trigger nissin Di622 flash with Canon 430ex ii

sunnyday
Apprentice

My equipment is Canon T1i camera, Canon 430ex ii flash, Nissin Di622 flash (the 1st model) and CowboyStudio radio trigger ( I don't recall the model).

The 430 in ettl mode & on the camera will trigger the off camera 622. The camera pop-up flash will trigger the off camera 622. The 430 on camera & in manual mode will not trigger the off camera 622 and the off camera 430 will not trigger the 622 in any mode. 

The radio trigger will fire the off camera 430. I'd like to trigger the off camera 430 with the radio and have the 430 then trigger the 622. Is there a way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I thought that most flash units could be triggered by a flash of light such as the pop up flash. Shouldn't I be able to trigger the 430(in all modes) with the flash from the pop up?

No,  some Nikon and other 3rd party flash units can be triggered with a just simple flash, but not Canon.   Your 430EX II will only work as a "Slave" if you have a "Master" that uses the Canon wireless system. Canon slave flashes can ONLY work using coded light signals from the Canon "master" flash.

Some newer Canon cameras have a built-in pop-up flash that can act as a Canon "master" but your T1i doesn't work that way. The Canon cameras that will do this are the T3i, T4i, T5i, 7D, 60D, or 70D.

You can also buy a Canon flash which can be used on your T1i and act as "master".  These  include the Canon 550EX, 580EX,  580EX II, and 600EX-RT. The cheaper Canon ST-E2 that can also act as master but does not  work as a flash.

There are also some 3rd party flashes Like Yongnuo,  Nissin and Metz  that may also work as "master" using the Canon system.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello Sunnyday,

It's regrettable that you've had this level of difficulty with the EOS Rebel T1i and the third party flash management.  The only Canon supported equipment that you have would be the camera and the Speedlite.  Using the gear that you have though, is not a Canon supported operation - meaning we can't determine where the issue of the cause is because of the third party equipment.  You may want to contact the manufacturer of the equipment exhibiting this issue. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for responding Tim. I don't think I originally stated that I can't get the camera pop up flash to trigger the off camera 430 when it, the 430, is in manual mode - it will when the 430 is in ettl mode. Maybe that is something you can help me with.

I thought that most flash units could be triggered by a flash of light such as the pop up flash. Shouldn't I be able to trigger the 430(in all modes) with the flash from the pop up?

No,  some Nikon and other 3rd party flash units can be triggered with a just simple flash, but not Canon.   Your 430EX II will only work as a "Slave" if you have a "Master" that uses the Canon wireless system. Canon slave flashes can ONLY work using coded light signals from the Canon "master" flash.

Some newer Canon cameras have a built-in pop-up flash that can act as a Canon "master" but your T1i doesn't work that way. The Canon cameras that will do this are the T3i, T4i, T5i, 7D, 60D, or 70D.

You can also buy a Canon flash which can be used on your T1i and act as "master".  These  include the Canon 550EX, 580EX,  580EX II, and 600EX-RT. The cheaper Canon ST-E2 that can also act as master but does not  work as a flash.

There are also some 3rd party flashes Like Yongnuo,  Nissin and Metz  that may also work as "master" using the Canon system.

Mike Sowsun

I suspected something like that was going on. Just wanted to confirm my suspicion and be sure my flash was not malfunctioning - it's a new to me refurbished unit.

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful.

Announcements