cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite wireless shooting

kenkasenter
Apprentice

I just bought a Speedlite 430EX III-RT to use with my Canon 6D.  I want to use it off camera.  Is there another piece of tech that I need to add to the camera to do this? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need the Canon ST ET R3 on camera radio controller.

I also strongly recommend Syl Arena's Speedliters Handbook - the latest edition covers the RT's.

Thank you for your help.  

diverhank
Authority

@kenkasenter wrote:

I just bought a Speedlite 430EX III-RT to use with my Canon 6D.  I want to use it off camera.  Is there another piece of tech that I need to add to the camera to do this? Thanks.

Unforturnately the 6D does not have a built-in means to wirelessly set off a flash.  You will need either another flash or a dedicated transmitter to set off (a) remote flash(es).

With the 430EX III flash, it can either control (master) or be controlled (slave) by radio or optical signal.  To be controlled by radio signal, you will need a Canon ST-E3-RT or equivalent.  By optical, you will need a Canon ST-E2-RT or equivalent.  You can use another 430EX III to control either optical or radio.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@kenkasenter wrote:

You can use a 90EX as an optical wireless flash controller.

Alternatives to the built-in flash: EOS 6D

Announcements