Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Speedlite 600ex-rt battery problem

Thank you all.  This was very helpful (when I finally read enought of the posts).  I came to the forum several different times and tried the clear buttom and power switch method several times, but only a couple times each time.  When I read that it takes several times I poured a glass of wine and settled in.  It took me upwards of 10 times plus, but it is working again!!!

New Contributor

Same same here and everyone else it appears...not happy for money Smiley Sad
Occasional Contributor

I wish Canon would give us a trade in credit for our 600EX-RTs.

New Contributor

THANK YOU!! Brough mine back to life with this.

Son
New Contributor

I just read on the Canon website to power it down, detach the colour filter holder (the plastic cover that fits in fromt of the flash and holds the lottle colour filters) and then power it up and oh my word it works!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Son wrote:

I just read on the Canon website to power it down, detach the colour filter holder (the plastic cover that fits in fromt of the flash and holds the lottle colour filters) and then power it up and oh my word it works!!!

The filter holder is really only included if people are actually going to use a filter.  With no filter (clear) the filter-holder shouldn't be attached.  

When I first read about this issue it was a bit of a mystery.  Then I read the solution and was a bit suprised... it never occurred to me that people were leaving their filter-holder on the flash (with no gel in it.)  I only use my filter-holder when I actually want to gel a shot.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
New Contributor

jakartaguy wrote:

WOW!! I just posted a second ago sharing my similar plight but just now found my own solution - please try it. 

Step 1. Place in your batteries, don't close the cover.

Step 2. Turn the Flash ON

Step 3. Close the cover, you will see the "battery drained" sign

Step 4. Turn off the Flash, wait a few seconds.

Step 5. Push the SEL/SET button and don't let go.

Step 6. While holding the SEL/SET button turn ON the flash, or even move it to the LOCK position.

Your green light (hopefully) should turn on at this point. 

If this works for you please be sure to do what you can to one day give back to the community, 

cheers

Jakartaguy

Thanks Jakartaguy.  This was the only solution that worked for me.

New Contributor

You are my angel today. I have to cover a wedding this afternoon and my flash won't start even with fully charged battery. I tried to do exactly what you did and YES!!! Thank you soon much for posting.