cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 580EXII

Jchafitz
Enthusiast

Mounting a 580EXII on a T3i & shooting in P.  Flash will inexplicably switch from ETTL mode to TTL, overexposing closer subjects.  Cannot reset to ETTL manually.  Must shut down, remove flash from camera frame, remove batteries and start again. Any thoughts or solutions appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi Jchafitz, thanks for posting!

We just wanted to let you know that we don't recommend do-it-yourself repairs. If you’re experiencing a problem with your Speedlite, it’s best to let a professional Canon Factory Service Center Technician do the work to keep you and your gear safe.

Jessica in Support

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Been using this flash for a couple years now & love it. Fine for what I do. If I can get past this problem, I'll be good. Of course I'd like to upgrade t the 600. who wouldn't. But can't justify the expense. My midlife crises was finally getting a 70-200 2.8IS :-}>

There is another place that can do it of you are uncomfortable. The fellow is located in Newtown CT. Michael Bass Designs. Not sure how much less he would charge. Perhaps if you send the retro foot and flash to him. In all honesty if Canon made a retro foot then it is a know problem. It should be free but $50 is not so bad so they should at least have offered free labor on that. Sorry Canon.

I purchased that lens as well. Ouch.       

Got the lens used, and it is sweet!

Just dis-assembled, tightened all screws, cleaned the contacts & re-assembled.  Road trip next week.  Stay tuned.  Thanx all for the tips and the interest.

Good to hear. No problem as that can be a real pian. Good luck.  

Just thinking here...  I have been using a Gary Fong Lightsphere attachment on the flash.  Could that extra top-weight have added to the wobble that breaks the contact between the foot & the shoe?

It is possible. That thing has some weight to it. Scap it and learn from my guru. Start in the blue column on the right  01-natural looking flash under flash photograhy techniques. I also took a lighting course and I gave both my spheres away.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/

I'm self-taught.  Learned a long time ago to avoid "open face" full  on flash.  Starting with my old Olympus OM series & Vivitar flash I added Luma-Quest soft boxes & bouncers.  When I moved to the Canon film & then digital frames, I added a small, white diffuser & now the Gary Fong.  I do love what it does to the candid faces I like to shoot.  I'll perruse the website you recommend, and I thank you again for the advice & insights.  ~Never to old to learn~

I wouldn't use a Fong either, but that's purely because I think the price is ridiculous for a little piece of plastic and I can make do with some paper and a hair tie.  However, if you own the Fong and you're getting the results you want, then rock on with it.

Follow up:  Tightened up the screws and did an event with the Fong lightsphere.   Same result.  Love working a room with a long lens and a flash.   I am advanced amateur who does the occasional revenue job; weddings, events, parties etc.  Like the Fong & what it does but will probably never use it again.

Question:  What do y'all use as a light diffuser, either store-bought or home brew.  I have one of those small plastic, rectangular flash caps.  OK close up but feel it limits my distance & spread.  Just found this forum and already have found many valuable insights.  Thanks in advance.

Announcements