cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 580EXII

Jchafitz
Enthusiast

Mounting a 580EXII on a T3i & shooting in P.  Flash will inexplicably switch from ETTL mode to TTL, overexposing closer subjects.  Cannot reset to ETTL manually.  Must shut down, remove flash from camera frame, remove batteries and start again. Any thoughts or solutions appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi Jchafitz, thanks for posting!

We just wanted to let you know that we don't recommend do-it-yourself repairs. If you’re experiencing a problem with your Speedlite, it’s best to let a professional Canon Factory Service Center Technician do the work to keep you and your gear safe.

Jessica in Support

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

One final missive, and then I will call it quits. Too much to do. From the Canon 80D Online Instruction Manual (printed version does not have section on flash photography).

Includes diagram of flash menu for Manual Wireless Shooting

SETTING THE FLASH OUTPUT MANUALLY FOR WIRELESS SHOOTING

When [Flash Mode] is set to [Manual Flash], flash exposure can be set manually.  The flash output settings that can be set vary depending upon the setting.

Firing Group:  All  The manual flash output setting is applied to all external Speedlites.

Firing Group:  (A:B)   You can set the flash output separately for Slave Groups A and B.

Firing Group:  All and Built-In  The flash output can be set separately for Speedlite(s) and built-In flash.

Firing Group:  All, (A:B), Built-In   You can set the flash output separately for Slave Groups A and B.  You can also set the flash output for the built-in flash.

Page 254, Wireless Flash Photography, Canon "Online" 80D Instruction Manual.

Maybe you can set it, but the information does not appear on the Speedlite LCD Panel.  (If this is the case, Canon should have made that clear).  I had to type all the above in by hand because the PDF version of the online manual would not allow me to cut and paste.  Maybe Canon needs a better tech writer who goes into more detail.  There are entirely too many "unknowns".  I hope Syl Arena's new book comes out this summer . . .

Thanks for listening.  No need to write back, but it was interesting sharing.  On to many other things to do . . .

I lied. Your built in flash is a master.

Announcements