cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlight not working

hollins3022
Apprentice
I have a canon 7d mark ii and I connected a canon 600 ex-rt speedlight to the top, hooked it in, but the flash will not work. The red light on the front flickers when I take a shot, but the main flash does not go off.
I've tried everything, please help me!
7 REPLIES 7

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I do not have a 7D II (but I do have the 600EX-RT).  Check your menus to make sure you didn't set the flash to 'disabled'.  It is possible to use the flash as a remote commander (master) for slave flashes.  Under the 'flash control' menu, you should see settings for the external flash.  Make sure it isn't disabled.

It is ALSO possible to use the menu buttons on the flash itself to disable the flash (and that overrides the camera settings).  I'd check that as well.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

hollins3022
Apprentice
Thank you so much!

So did you figure out what happened?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

hollins3022
Apprentice
No I didn't 😞

@hollins3022 wrote:
No I didn't 😞

Bummer...to rule out the bulb being burnt out, you should try to press the test button without the camera.  The flash should fire when you press it.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

hollins3022
Apprentice
Is that the red light with the lightning bolt?
If so, I pressed it and nothing happened.

Hi hollins3022,

Yes, the button that lights up red and has the lightning bold symbol above it is the Test flash button. When it is red, pressing the button should fire a test flash. If the flash is not mounted to the camera does pressing the test button fire the flash head?

If the test flash button does not fire the flash head I recommend contacting our Technical Support team for assistance. They can be reached HERE or at the link below.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/contact-support/

Announcements