cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid Box/430EX III

nickle15
Apprentice

Hello!

Recently I purchased a 430EX III-RT, with a transmitter and a Westcott Rapid Box Octa 26".  The flash appears to be too short to be properly inserted into the back of the softbox when mounted on the provided bracket.  I can't find any information online that leads me to believe anyone else is having this same issue so I thought I should ask.  Is anyone else using this setup and do you experience the same problem?  

I'm wondering about whether there's a way to make the hotshoe slot taller maybe?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nickle15 wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  The manual mentions a height adjustment on the hotshoe bracket but I'll be darned if I can find it.  I'm going to take another run at it this afternoon.  The mere fact that it's not common enough to easily find others with the same problem probably just indicates user error!  I appreciate the advice!

Here are the adjustment points...These are pretty standard...

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Have you talked to Westcott?

nickle15
Apprentice

No I haven't.  I guess that the sensible next step.  Just wondering if anyone else had run into the issue.  Thanks for the suggestion!

diverhank
Authority

@nickle15 wrote:

Hello!

Recently I purchased a 430EX III-RT, with a transmitter and a Westcott Rapid Box Octa 26".  The flash appears to be too short to be properly inserted into the back of the softbox when mounted on the provided bracket.  I can't find any information online that leads me to believe anyone else is having this same issue so I thought I should ask.  Is anyone else using this setup and do you experience the same problem?  

I'm wondering about whether there's a way to make the hotshoe slot taller maybe?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The 430EX is not that small and should fit just fine.  Keep in mind that the provided bracket has two adjustment points.  One is to raise the flash up to fit the slot and the other is to move the flash closer to the box.  Worst case, you can buy another bracket if the one you have do not have adequate adjustments.  I really think that it does.

Thanks for the tip.  The manual mentions a height adjustment on the hotshoe bracket but I'll be darned if I can find it.  I'm going to take another run at it this afternoon.  The mere fact that it's not common enough to easily find others with the same problem probably just indicates user error!  I appreciate the advice!

@nickle15 wrote:

Here are the adjustment points...These are pretty standard...

Capture.JPG

Thanks - that's helpful.  I took another run at setting the flash and it looks like it's going to be ok this time.  I'm not sure what in the world I was doing wrong the other night but it's seated much more satisfactorally now.  I appreciate the help!

Announcements