cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about 600 EX-RT and 5DmkII Compatibility

nolaphoto1
Apprentice

I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times already but I've read myself into confusion on the topic. So I thought I just ask the community.  I've decided that I want to redo my "location" light kit by retiring some of my portable strobes because compared to speedlites, they're not so portable. I recently purchased a single 600 EX RT to get a feel for it. Minus one hick-up with the focal length zoom on one lens, the flash worked well for what I was asking of it.  

What I would ultimately like to do is place two 600s in a soft box or umbrella, and use a third for fill or rim light, depending on the conditions.  When it comes to strobes and flash, I always prefer manual mode.  So, after reading a little of Syl Arena's book and watching his videos from B&H, I did acquire the OCF Gear 32' ETTL cord he uses. It works fine for the single unit. 

All I want is to be able to fire three, maybe four 600s, in manual mode but have them fire at manually selected powers. I can continue to use the E-TTL cord but eventually I would like to be able to use the STE-3.  Am I up the proverbial creek here given that I am using a 5dMkII?  

Link to the ETTL Cord:

http://ocfgear.com/ocf-gear-32c-smart-cord-for-canon-ettl/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello Nolaphoto1,

When using an EOS 5D Mark III, Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3 and Speedlite 600EX RT, you can control the ratio's manually.  You would separate the three Speedlites into groups and then set a ratio for each.  They will all still fire wirelessly in this setup.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Hello Nolaphoto1,

When using an EOS 5D Mark III, Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3 and Speedlite 600EX RT, you can control the ratio's manually.  You would separate the three Speedlites into groups and then set a ratio for each.  They will all still fire wirelessly in this setup.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Tim for the reply and explanation. 

Announcements